[Davis Democrats] FW: don't give up

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Wed Nov 10 08:40:48 PST 2004

----------

Subject: Fwd: don't give up

<< Trish,

More excellence!  I have listened now to 2 young Democrats who are cutting

their teeth on politics:  Barak Obama and Gavin Newsom.  I like what I see.

Not always, but a lot of the time.  I have a fairly simplistic view:

Democrats are the truly democratic party.  We embrace all visions, explore

all traditions, embody all cultures, and expound all ideas.  We are messy

thinkers who, by dint of our messiness, come out with something better than

the individual elements.  The Republicans tell us how to think, how to live,

and how to act.  Democrats ask us how we'd like to think, live, and act.

Last Tuesday, the voters said they weren't ready to take on the

responsibility of managing their own destiny.  But in years to come, I think

they will.  Our job is to continue to ask people what they want.  It's the

only way to remind them that they have freedom of thought, freedom of

speech, and freedom of choice -- until someone takes it away.

Subject: RE: don't give up

[...]

Subject: don't give up

To paraphrase the late Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"Democrats lost an election last night, but we did not lose a tradition.
 For ours is the oldest political party on Earth.  We have known good
times and bad, while sometimes we have merely endured.  But more often,
we have prevailed because at heart we have embodied a great idea, which
is that an elected government can be the instrument of the common
purpose of a free people, that government can embrace great causes and
do great things."   Grid Iron Dinner 1981