[Davis Democrats] Fwd: Please see and popularize "Going Upriver" at the Crest today or this weekend.

Rhonda Anthony Gruska rjgruska at pacbell.net
Fri Oct 1 08:50:07 PDT 2004

Here is message from club member, Adrienne Kandel:

Adrienne Vayssières Kandel <adrienne at dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:From: Adrienne Vayssières Kandel
To: "Rhonda Anthony Gruska"
Subject: Please see and popularize "Going Upriver" at the Crest today or this weekend.
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 04:38:57 -0700

Moveon.org is asking people to flood theatres for this show, as they did for
Fahrenheit 411, to make it popular. Here's why to do so:

1. In fact critics are acclaiming this film; this will be a pleasure, not a
chore. It's made by the producer who made "Pumping Iron" about
Schwarzeneggar back when I was young - also a fascinating and very human
movie (details below). As that movie made people understand body-builders,
this movie makes people understand the anti-Vietnam-war generation.

2. Movies' success or failure depends on big crowds at the beginning. Good
movies die (and some bad movies live) just because of viewership the first
few days. Word-of-mouth and box office numbers affect audience size, and
therefore willingness of theatres to play the film.

3. To counter the Republican smear campaign about Kerry's service, medals,
and anti-war activities, we need people to understand that Kerry was a human
being who acted according to his own -commendable - beliefs, with
conviction. Thus we need to make the film popular, and we need to be able
to tell people in conversation what we saw - especially those who believe
Swift Boat lies.

The Crest is the only theatre in Sacramento or Davis now carrying it.
Here's it's schedule, then movie description, then price.

Friday, October 1 and Saturday, October 2 1:00 3:20 5:20 7:30 9:30
Sunday, October 3 1:00 3:20 5:20 7:30
Monday, October 4 through Thursday, October 7 5:20 7:30

Going Upriver: The Long War of John Kerry, is an extraordinary inside look
at a politician, where he has come from, and how these roots have driven him
forward in his public life. As a Vietnam war hero and subsequent activist,
his story is a worthy subject for an important film about a defining era in
America's past, and how it influenced a man and his dedication to the
democratic process. This is, therefore, also the story of an American
generation that came of age in the war-torn sixties, and has now come to
prominence at the beginning of this century -- when issues of war, and their
historical resonance for a new generation of leaders, hold center stage.
Acclaimed director George Butler has known Senator Kerry since 1964 and in
1969 began photographing him, in an effort to document his life and career.
Using his unique collection of images, the film weaves together Butler's
photography with archival material, interviews with Kerry's closest
associates, and contemporary footage of him at home and abroad. As with his
films Pumping Iron and The Endurance, the filmmaker proves himself as a
master at portraying American men affected by and affecting history.
2004 Color/Black and White 1 hour 32 minutes Rated PG-13

General Admission $8.50
Senior/Student/Child/Matinee $5.50
Playing in Theatre 2

Please spread the word.