[Davis Democrats] pass HR 363: Congressman M. Thompson--re CIA Leak

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Thu Aug 18 16:44:20 PDT 2005

----------
From: "Congressman Mike Thompson" <ca01ima.pub at mail.house.gov>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:01:06 -0400
To: <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: From Congressman Mike Thompson

August 18, 2005

Mr. John C. Chendo
331 Leon Place
Davis, California  95616

Dear Mr. Chendo:

Thank you for your comments regarding the actions of White House Deputy
Chief of Staff Karl Rove.  I appreciate you taking the time to contact me.

As you may know, it was reported that Mr. Rove spoke with at least one
reporter about Valerie Plame's role at the CIA before she was identified as
a covert agent in a newspaper column two years ago. The leak of Plame's name
to the news media led to a federal grand jury investigation that has been
seeking to find the origin of the disclosure.

Justice Department prosecutor Patrick J. Fitzgerald has overseen most of the
investigation.  Earlier this year, Mr. Fitzgerald took Time Magazine and the
New York Times to court over the issue of whether their reporters should be
forced to provide information on the CIA leak.   Time turned over the
emails, notes, and related materials of reporter Matthew Cooper to Mr.
Fitzgerald's office.  New York Times reporter Judith Miller refused a
similar order and was subsequently held in contempt and jailed.

Please know that I consider this an important matter.  I believe we need a
thorough Congressional investigation into who was involved in the CIA leak.
That is why I am a co-sponsor of House Resolution 363.  This resolution
requests that the President, the Secretary of State, the Secretary of
Defense, the Director of Central Intelligence and the Attorney General
transmit all documents to the House of Representatives relating to the
disclosure of the identity of Valerie Plame.

Action must be taken by Congress.  The best way to do that is for Congress
to pass House Resolution 363.  Please know that I am working with my
colleagues in Congress to help pass this legislation as soon as possible.

Again, thank you for contacting me.  Please continue to contact me on
matters of concern to you and to our district.

Sincerely,

MIKE THOMPSON
Member of Congress
http://www.mikethompson.house.gov

You cannot reply to this email.  If you would like to email me, please visit
http://www.house.gov/writerep