[Davis Democrats] plan to prevent packing the U.S. federal courts with Bushites: from ex-mayor of Menlo Park

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Sat Jan 29 11:44:52 PST 2005

----------

Subject: Fwd: Action plan-People for the American Way

I just signed a petition that could impact the next 40 years of Supreme
Court rulings.  Right now there are a handful of Republican Senators that
could decide whether there is real debate over President Bush¹s Supreme
Court nominees or those nominees are rubber stamped ­ they need to hear from
you.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-TN) is considering the radical
elimination of the 200-year-old filibuster in order to pave an easy path for
controversial nominees to the Supreme Court.  Frist¹s effort is called the
³nuclear option,² and there are some Republicans who may think it goes too
far.  Tell these Senators you think it does.  Sign the petition now at
http://pfaw.kintera.org/SaveTheFilibuster .

Sen. Ted Stevens and Sen. Lisa Murkowski (Alaska)
Sen. John McCain (Arizona)
Sen. Richard Lugar (Indiana)
Sen. Charles Grassley (Iowa)
Sen. Pat Roberts (Kansas)
Sen. Olympia Snowe and Sen. Susan Collins (Maine)
Sen. Thad Cochran (Mississippi)
Sen. Chuck Hagel (Nebraska)
Sen. John Sununu (New Hampshire)
Sen. Pete Domenici (New Mexico)
Sen. Mike DeWine and Sen. George Voinovich (Ohio)
Sen. Gordon Smith (Oregon)
Sen. Arlen Specter (Pennsylvania)
Sen. Lincoln Chafee (Rhode Island)
Sen. John Warner (Virginia)

Take action!  Fight on! and make sure to forward this to any moderate
Republicans you know, too!

Thanks

Gail Slocum

WHAT TO DO POST 2004 ELECTION?  Keep fighting on!  Many options... An
obvious need is election process reform so we can overcome vote suppression,
unrecountable electronic voting machines and other shenanigans that happened
in '04, esp in Ohio.  Check out  slide show at
http://www.ElectionFraud2004.org or email info at ElectionFraud2004.org
Also, I'm planning Peninsula discussion evenings on key topics of interest
to progressive folks.  Please contact me if you have ideas and can help!

ENERGY INDEPENDENCE -- We can both help the environment and improve national
security through rapid introduction of new technologies to get the US
independent of oil imported from the unstable middle-east.  Plug-in hybrid
electric vehicles are the important next step.  Get up to 90 miles to the
gallon on a Prius+ that you can shoose to plug in!
Check it out at http://www.calcars.org/

POWER OF CHOICE -- Show this riveting 28 min DVD and help deliver the
Pro-Choice vote.  Order several and send to folks you know in "swing
states"!  http://www.thepowerofchoice.net/

ACTION ALERT: LOBBY MODERATE GOP SENATORS in January 2004 to keep the
fillibuster on judicial nominees.  Stop Frist's pro-life power grab and keep
Federal judges more moderate.  Get your moderate Republican friends involved
in standing up to Bush, too.  See
http://www.progressiverepublicanmajority.org/   or email info at prmajority.org

Gail Slocum
Former Mayor, Menlo Park, CA