[Davis Democrats] A "Democracy Bond"-from Dr.Howard Dean

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Mon Jun 27 18:02:15 PDT 2005

----------
From: "Governor Howard Dean" <democraticparty at democrats.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:47:41 -0500
To: "John Chendo" <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: A Party Accountable to the People

Dear John:

This morning, on the Democratic Party's brand new web site, I made my
commitment to reform the political process and change the way political
parties are financed.

I got my 'Democracy Bond'.

A 'Democracy Bond' is the way for you to take control of our party's future.
It's a monthly commitment to donate a small amount -- $20, $30 or whatever
you can afford -- to build a sustainable Democratic Party in every state and
win elections at every level of office.

More important, 'Democracy Bond' are the start of a community of Americans
with a stake in our common future. We, the people, have the chance to
reclaim our government and rid politics of special interest money once and
for all. With a 'Democracy Bond' you don't get your money back -- but you do
get your country back:

http://www.democrats.org/democracybond
<https://www.democrats.org/page/contribute/democracybonds?source=NETA404>

It's going to take more than you and me to make this happen. That's why, on
your new site, you will be able to ask your friends and neighbors to join
us. You'll also be able to track your progress as you build your own network
of people committed to shaping the future of our party and our country.

If our party is going to both compete in the short term and build for the
long term, we're going to have to do things differently.

The Republicans raise more than $10 million a month in huge checks from
special interests and lobbyists. They have created a money-for-influence
machine unlike anything our country has ever seen.

A million of us contributing $20 a month can double their total. To do that,
every single one of us will have to take ownership of this party. And that's
exactly the point -- by making your 'Democracy Bond' commitment, and
encouraging people you know to do the same, you can shift the balance of
power in our political process.

You can start by getting your 'Democracy Bond' now:

http://www.democrats.org/democracybond
<https://www.democrats.org/page/contribute/democracybonds?source=NETA404>

I want to be straight with you -- there will be times when we all have to
make additional investments in our work together.

But the 'Democracy Bond' is a core commitment to our party and our values
that every Democrat should embrace. We will only create lasting change if
that sense of obligation and responsibility becomes a permanent part of our
lives.

If you can't make a monthly commitment now, please make a one-time
contribution to support building our party for the future:

http://www.democrats.org/contribute
<https://www.democrats.org/page/contribute?source=NETA405>

The other side has its game plan to win. They will divide America by race,
religion, class, sexual orientation and any other way they can if it means a
political advantage -- they will even exploit the sacred memory of September
11th. They will shamelessly appeal to the worst in us -- exploiting our
fears and scapegoating the most vulnerable. And while they stoke resentment
among the people, special interests and ideologues will bankroll their party
and set the agenda.

The way to beat them is simple. We will unite and empower people everywhere.
By doing so we will ensure that the Democratic Party is beholden to no one
but the people -- and that when we govern, the concerns of ordinary
Americans are our priority.

Thank you for all that you do.

Governor Howard Dean, M.D.
Chairman, Democratic National Committee

P.S. -- You can track the progress of the 'Democracy Bond' project and read
about others who are making the commitment every day on our new web site:
www.democrats.org <http://www.democrats.org>

Paid for and authorized by the Democratic National Committee,
www.democrats.org <3D"http://www.democrats.org/"> . This communication is
not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

Contributions or gifts to the Democratic National Committee are not
deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.

Click here to unsubscribe from this mailing list.