[Davis Democrats] URGENT: Contact 8 Key GOP Senators TODAY and Save Judicial Filibuster (Supreme Court at risk)!! {Then forward widely, Please!}

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Fri May 20 07:12:39 PDT 2005

----------
From: Gail Slocum <gailslocum at comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 23:42:17 -0700
To: Gail Slocum <gailslocum at comcast.net>
Subject: URGENT: Contact 8 Key GOP Senators TODAY and Save Judicial
Filibuster (Roe v. Wade at risk)!!  {Then forward widely, Please!}

 From:    gailslocum at comcast.net
 Subject:  URGENT: Contact 8 key GOP Senators TODAY & Save Judicial
Filibuster (Roe v Wade at risk)!  [Then kindly forward this widely!!]
 Date:  May 19, 2005 11:38:18 PM PDT
 To:    gailslocum at comcast.net

> A Handful of Undecided GOP Senators of Conscience will SOON Determine
> whether America
> RETAINS the Longstanding SENATE FILIBUSTER, being debated NOW on the
> Senate Floor!

> As you know, this over 200 year old Rule allows moderate Senators
> working on a Bi-Partisan basis
> to STOP EXTREME NOMINEES for Life-Tenured Federal Judgeships

> *****Roe v. Wade and Civil Rights Protections, among many other
> issues, hang in the balance*****
>
> ---Your help is needed NOW in a FINAL PUSH to CALL and let these 8 GOP
> Senators know where Mainstream America stands!---
>
> Please TAKE 15 minutes or so TODAY to make calls, or send faxes or
> E-mails to these 8 KEY SENATORS
> urging them to stand strong and MAINTAIN crucial CHECKS AND BALANCES!

> The please immediately forward this message to everyone you know in
> the following states, who are constituents of these key Senators:
> Maine, Arizona, Nebraska, Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Alaska,
> Indiana, and Oregon.

> SAMPLE  MESSAGE:
>
> I am calling to register an opinion.  I urge the Senator to oppose a
> Rules change that would cut off filibusters of extreme nominees for
> life-tenured Federal Judgeships.

> Such a rules change would be very bad for our political system.  The
> existing rule serves an important purpose.  It provides checks and
> balances that protect both sides against abuse.  [IF YOU ARE A
> REPUBLICAN OR FROM A REPUBLICAN FAMILY, OR HAVE SOME CONNECTION WITH
> THAT SENATOR'S STATE, SAY SO HERE]

> I'm an American first, and so is the Senator.  This is a case where
> Country take precedence over Party.

> Please tell the Senator to stand strong, guided by conscience.  Thank
> the Senator for being a good public servant, and for doing the right
> thing on this important vote.

> [EXTRA INFO:  Filibusters have been used only a handful of times
> during the past 4 years.  The recent record of approving judges has
> been overwhelmingly good.  Fewer than a dozen very extreme nominees
> were challenged whereas 215 were approved (a 95% approval rate).  No
> up or down vote was afforded to some 60 of President Clinton's
> judicial nominees in the 1990s.]

> [Your message is most likely to get through by phone, fax or Fed Exed
> hard copy.  Email is a distant third choice]

Toll free to U.S. Capitol 1-877-762-8762

http://dewine.senate.gov/request_form.htm

> ***Lisa Murkowski (R- AK)
>  202-224-6665
>  202-224-5301
> http://murkowski.senate.gov/contact.html

> Senator Richard G. Lugar (R- IN)
>  202-224-4814
>  202-228-0360
> senator_lugar at lugar.senate.gov

>   2 OTHERS TO CONTACT IF YOU HAVE TIME

>   ***Senator Arlen Specter (R- PA)
>    202-224-4254
>    202-228-1229
>   arlen_specter at specter.senate.gov
>
>   Senator Gordon Smith (R- OR)
>    202-224-3753
>    202-228-3997
>   http://gsmith.senate.gov/webform.htm
>
> Thank 2 GOP Senators who already Oppose the "Nuclear Option"/Rule
> change
>
> Senator Olympia Snowe (R- ME)
>  202-224-5344
>  202-224-1946
> Olympia at snowe.senate.gov
>
> Senator Lincoln D. Chafee (R- RI)
>  202-224-2921
>  202-228-2853
> http://chafee.senate.gov/webform.htm
>
> (UNFORTUNATELY, some of these are web FORM addresses which must be
> filled out individually.)
>

> THANKS for taking a few minutes to individually reach out to these
> Senators
>
> Please forward this to others who will do likewise, including your
> Moderate Republican friends!
>
> Gail Slocum

ACTION ALERT: LOBBY MODERATE GOP SENATORS to retain the fillibuster on
judicial nominees.  Stop Sen. Maj. Leader Bill Frist's anti-choice
power grab and force new Federal judges to be more reasonable.  Get
your moderate Republican friends involved too!  Go to http://pfaw.org

WHAT DO WE DO NOW?
(1)Fight Arnold's special election that will cost $70 million, when our
State's deficit is almost $15 billion.  These measures can be voted on
in June 2006 at no extra cost to taxpayers.  What's the rush?  For
details on the special election, visit www.westly2006.com/fight
(2) Election process reform is needed before '06 to overcome vote
suppression, unrecountable electronic voting machines, and other '04
shenanigans (a la Ohio).  Check out http://www.ElectionFraud2004.org

ENERGY INDEPENDENCE THRU PLUG-IN HYBRID VEHICLES --
We can tackle national security, jobs and global warming at the same
time.  Rapid introduction of ceantech solutions will reduce US oil
imports from the unstable Middle East by millions of barrels a day.
Get plugged into the next step solution that national security experts,
environmentalists, unions, and the national media are buzzing about:
Plug-in Hybrid-Electric Vehicles.  Check out the Prius+ conversion that
now gets over 100 MPG, see http://www.calcars.org/   Join newsgroup for