[Davis Democrats] FW: Immediate action needed for Open Voting

Adrienne Kandel Adrienne at dcn.org
Tue Oct 4 15:55:54 PDT 2005

1.  Call the gov at 916-445-2841 and express support of S.B. 370, which it
looks like he may be pocket-vetoing.  SB 370 makes the voter verified paper
trail the official record in case of recount or audit.  You can't have
democracy so long as the black box tabulators officially determine the
outcome.  S.B. 370 was written by Senator Debra Bowen, candidate for Sec. of
State.

Sadly, Republican Sec of State McPherson has urged Schwarzeneggar to veto
this bill.  I honestly can't think of a valid reason and can only note that
Diebold and its ilk are Republican contributors, and at the least want
payback and at the most want to help steal elections.  One friend's analysis
shows the recall (of Davis) effort succeeded only in each county with votes
counted by machines, so it's possible the gov and friends have stooped so
low as to choose what gives them wins over what gives us democracy.

2.  Act on the Open Voting announcement below.  This time talk to your state
senator, assemblyman, and Mr. McPherson to get open code voting software
implemented.  It looked like it was going to happen, and now it looks like
McPherson is backing out, perhaps under voting industry pressure.  I don't
know how honest his intentions were when he became Sec. of State, but he has
become a man who will urge a veto of paper record recounts.  Perhaps he
hasn't forgot that right after his predecessor Kevin Shelley decertified
some Diebold machines, the media received enough dirt on Shelley to drive
him out of office.

If you need any convincing that our democracy is over if we cannot openly
count our votes, go to blackboxvoting.org (Bev Harris's site) or
blackboxvoting.com (David Allen's site) and see whatever is their latest in
shocking findings.

Thanks.
Adrienne Kandel