[Davis Democrats] Tell Gov. to sign Voter Verified Paper Trail bill

Adrienne Kandel Adrienne at dcn.org
Sat Sep 10 19:33:14 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Voting Announcements [mailto:alan at openvotingconsortium.org]
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 3:18 PM
To: adrienne at dcn.org
Subject: Support Debra Bowen's SB370!

Debra Bowen's SB370 was passed by the CA State legislature and is now on the
Governor's desk.  Please, today, ask Governor Schwarzenegger to sign it into
law.

Last year's SB1438 requires that paperless Direct Record Electronic (DRE)
voting machines add a Voter Verified Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT), although it
didn't specifiy very well how it was to be used.  SB370 fills the gap by
requiring this paper trail to be used in routine audits and recounts.

Like SB1438, SB370 doesn't solve all the problems but it's an incremental
step toward what we want: ELECTION RESULTS THAT CAN BE AUDITED.

Here is the contact information for the governor:

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: 916-445-2841
Fax: 916-445-4633

To send an Electronic Mail please visit:
http://www.govmail.ca.gov

Faxes and phone calls can be effective.  Also, an easy way to get the
message to Governor Schwarzenegger is to visit the VerifiedVoting.org Action
Center at
http://www.demaction.org/dia/organizations/vevo/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=11
59

Thank you.

Alan Dechert
President, Open Voting Consortium
http://openvoting.org
alan at openvoting.org
9560 Windrose Lane
Granite Bay, CA 95746
916-791-0456

-----------------------------
ON ANOTHER TOPIC (from Adrienne)

This week's "This American Life" (http://www.thislife.org/) has compelling
stories of people stuck in New Orleans after Katrina.  Two little samples:

-As a tourist stuck in town explained, people were not allowed to walk out
of New Orleans on the bridge to the next town - on pain of being shot at
(word was the gov. had given orders to shoot to kill).

-If I heard correctly (over noises competing with the radio), an older woman
in the astrodome described how young armed men had organized patrols - they
got (looted?) and distributed food, and make sure the old and children were
protected, perhaps after there had been an incident or two.  This seems to
be what was reported as anarchy with armed men roving the astrodome.

Anyhow, this is a show to listen to.  There's so much more than I can write
here.