[Davis Democrats] FW: support Boxer's sense of the senate amendment: tell President Bush to answer questions about corruption

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Wed Feb 8 22:40:04 PST 2006

------ Forwarded Message
From: Barbara Boxer <info at pacforachange.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 18:01:58 GMT
To: john chendo <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: Why won't President Bush answer questions about Jack Abramoff?

   <http://www.barbaraboxer.com>

  Dear john,
 <http://ga4.org/campaign/abramoff/5gibb82053n8xn?>
Tell President Bush to come clean about Jack Abramoff -- email your Senators
now! <http://ga4.org/campaign/abramoff/5gibb82053n8xn?>

During last week's State of the Union address, President Bush spoke for 51
minutes on a wide range of subjects -- from his misguided war in Iraq to his
failed energy policy.

Yet in that entire 5,369 word speech, the President saw fit to dedicate only
60 words to a subject that has infected his entire Administration as well as
the GOP Congressional leadership:  the Republican culture of corruption
permeating Washington, DC.

Here's all that President Bush said about his Party's ethical lapses last
week:

> A hopeful society expects elected officials to uphold the public trust.
> Honorable people in both parties are working on reforms to strengthen the
> ethical standards of Washington -- I support your efforts. Each of us has made
> a pledge to be worthy of public responsibility -- and that is a pledge we must
> never forget, never dismiss, and never betray.

No apologies for Scooter Libby's obstruction of justice and perjury
indictments related to the outing of CIA agent Valerie Plame.  No
acknowledgment of Tom DeLay's ongoing criminal prosecution for money
laundering.  No mention of the procurement head of Bush's own budget office
who was marched out in handcuffs.  No discussion of GOP Congressman Duke
Cunningham's resignation after pleading guilty to bribery charges.

And certainly no reference to Jack Abramoff, the corrupt Republican lobbyist
and major GOP donor who has already pled guilty to five criminal felony
counts, with more likely on the way.

Tell President Bush to come clean about Jack Abramoff -- urge your Senators
to support my amendment today!
<http://ga4.org/campaign/abramoff/5gibb82053n8xn?>

In fact, now President Bush says that he doesn't even remember Jack Abramoff
-- despite Abramoff raising more than $100,000 for Bush's 2004 re-election
and serving as a member of the Bush Administration Transition Team in 2001
-- not to mention the more than 200 contacts that Abramoff's lobbying team
had with Bush Administration officials in the first 10 months of 2001.

That simply doesn't pass the smell test.  The American people deserve to
know the truth about the extent of Jack Abramoff's relationship with the
Bush Administration, and how that may have corrupted policy decisions.

That's why I have co-sponsored a "sense of the Senate" amendment, along with
my colleagues John Kerry and Frank Lautenberg, urging the White House to
provide the American people with a thorough account of the meetings the
President, his staff, and senior executive branch officials had with
disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff.

It's time for President Bush to answer our questions about Jack Abramoff.
Urge your Senators to support my amendment today!
<http://ga4.org/campaign/abramoff/5gibb82053n8xn?>

Despite the President's rhetoric in his State of the Union address, the
White House's refusal to fully disclose information about their dealings
with Jack Abramoff simply exacerbates the problem.

After all, it's not George Bush's White House -- it's the people's White
House -- and it is long past time they got an unobstructed look into their
own government. If the President has nothing to hide, there shouldn't be a
problem.

Tell President Bush to come clean about Jack Abramoff now!
<http://ga4.org/campaign/abramoff/5gibb82053n8xn?>

Thanks so much for your continued support.

In Friendship,

Barbara Boxer

Email your Senators now! <http://ga4.org/campaign/abramoff/5gibb82053n8xn?>
| Contribute Today! <https://secure.ga4.org/01/pacforachange/nW718Z-s1zmy1?>

Paid for by PAC for a Change, www.barbaraboxer.com
<http://ga4.org/ct/Q718Z-s1zmIB/home> , Treasurer Sim Farar, FEC#C00342048.
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee

  Invite your friends and family to join Senator Boxer's PAC for a Change
today!
  Tell-a-friend!
<http://ga4.org/join-forward.html?domain=boxer2004&r=W718Z-s1zmy1>

  If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for PAC for a
Change <http://ga4.org/pacforachange/join.html?r=W718Z-s1zmy1E> .