[Davis Democrats] DNC Alert: Alito Hearings & Body Armor

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Thu Jan 12 08:46:09 PST 2006

------ Forwarded Message
From: Democratic Party <democraticparty at democrats.org>

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 11:28:29 -0500
To: <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: DNC Alert: Alito Hearings & Body Armor

     Dear John, Democrats should be prepared to talk about two issues
dominating headlines this week. First, Senate Democrats began to question
Judge Samuel Alito this week. Alito faced tough questions about his
decisions during 15 years on an appeals court. Second, a recent Pentagon
study revealed that "80 percent of the marines who have been killed in Iraq
from wounds to the upper body could have survived if they had had extra body
armor." According to The New York Times, "such armor has been available
since 2003," but the Pentagon declined to supply it to the troops. Democrats
are calling for congressional investigations. [New York Times, 1/7/06]
Talking points on both issues are below..
DNC Secretary Nomination of Judge Alito: KEY POINT: Americans are still
unsure about Judge Alito. Too many writings in his record curry favor with
the extreme right, which show a willingness to favor government power over
individual liberties. A lack of credibility has emerged as Judge Alito has
tried to distance himself from his record and prior statements. Judge Alito
has attacked Americans' personal liberties by approving the inappropriate
strip search of a 10-year old child and defending the construction of
all-white juries by unscrupulous prosecutors trying black defendants. Judge
Alito's decisions, such as his attacks on the Family Medical Leave
protections and his willingness to excuse the grossest form of sexual
harassment in the workplace based on technicalities, have harmed working
people. As President Bush face increasing criticism over his secret
warrantless spying on American citizens, Judge Alito must demonstrate that
he too understands the limits of executive power. In 1984, Alito supported
the use of illegal, warrantless wiretaps and wrote that the attorney general
should be shielded from lawsuits. Judge Alito failed to recuse himself from
a major Vanguard Mutual funds case, despite pledging-under oath during
confirmation hearings for his third circuit judgeship-to do so, because of
his financial ties to the company. How can we believe that Judge Alito will
put aside his personal beliefs and keep an open mind when he has already
broken one promise made to the American people? America needs strength now
and America needs a Supreme Court where personal and political
considerations do not appear to influence any decision at any time. Please
click here
<http://a9.g.akamai.net/7/9/8082/v001/democratic1.download.akamai.com/8082/p
dfs/20060111_alitocred.pdf>  for an op-ed by Senator Edward Kennedy entitled
"Alito's Credibility Problem." Pentagon Study on Body Armor for Troops: KEY
POINT: This study is the latest example of the Bush Administration's
appalling disregard for the safety of our troops. President Bush's rhetoric
doesn't match the actions of his Administration and unnecessary combat
fatalities are the result. Our troops and their families deserve better. It
is unacceptable and unconscionable that lives of numerous soldiers and
Marines could have been saved if the Pentagon and the President had supplied
them with armor that they already had. Since the beginning of the Iraq War,
the Bush Administration has failed to keep our troops safe. They have not
made sure our soldiers have all the resources they need to get the job done.
Our troops deserve better leadership in Washington. We need to immediately
equip men and women in combat with every resource available, to keep them
safe and help them defeat the enemy. Congress should hold hearings to
investigate. The American people deserve full assurance our troops will not
face unnecessary risks or danger caused by lack of resources. Why weren't
the necessary steps taken to protect our soldiers? The least we can do is to
give our men and women in uniform the option of having the very best body
armor and armored vehicles to make sure they can be as safe as possible.

For those of you receiving this email from the Secretary of the Democratic
National Committee for the first time, we are reaching out to Democratic
leaders across the nation. We hope you will use this material on talk radio,
for letters to the editor, and share it with your activist community. We
would appreciate your feedback or other information that might be of help to
us. Lastly, if there are others who may be interested in being included,
please send us their names and email addresses. Thanks again for your help.
 Paid for and authorized by the Democratic National Committee,
www.democrats.org <http://www.democrats.org/> . This communication is not
authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

 Contributions or gifts to the Democratic National Committee are not
deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.

DNC, 430 S. Capitol St. SE, Washington DC 20003