[Davis Democrats] FW: Benefit of the Doubt

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Thu Jan 19 12:31:03 PST 2006

------ Forwarded Message
From: Senator Ted Kennedy <action at tedkennedy.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:51:19 -0500
To: John Chendo <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: Benefit of the Doubt

   Dear John, Last week, Samuel Alito had the opportunity to answer the
numerous and troubling questions about his record.  Regrettably, he chose
diversion over candor - and left the Senate Judiciary committee with even
more uncertainty about his commitment to fairness and equal justice for all.
Our Constitution places awesome power in our Supreme Court justices, and the
responsibility to use it wisely. Accordingly, any nominee to its bench must
meet a high bar and prove a steadfast commitment to "equal justice under the
law." Unfortunately, when it comes to meeting this standard, Mr. Alito asks
the American people to give him the benefit of the doubt.  I believe he is
asking too much. In response to our email last week, an overwhelming number
of you wanted to know about Mr. Alito's views on the scope of executive
power. Like most Americans, you are concerned that President Bush authorized
the National Security Agency to spy on Americans in their homes, has said he
will ignore the new McCain law banning torture, and wants the government to
continue to have access without a warrant to many of your private records
and communication. There is little doubt from the record that Judge Alito is
a cheerleader for vast presidential powers, even though he tried to distance
himself from his own remarks in the hearing.  I'm sure you share my view
that we want a Supreme Court justice who will blow the whistle on abuses of
power as a violation of our rights, and it's clear that Judge Alito will not
do that. If confirmed, Samuel Alito will be charged with guarding our great
traditions of justice and freedom.  Time and again we see him contort the
law and find for the powerful rather than the weak.  Numerous studies of his
cases - by law professors and the press - found that he ruled in favor of
the government, corporations, and powerful interests more than 80 percent of
the time.  He ruled against the handicapped, minorities, and women facing
job discrimination.  He said it's okay to reject African Americans to create
all-white juries.  He even ruled in favor of the authorities when they
strip-searched a 10-year-old little girl. America can do better than Samuel
Alito. No Supreme Court confirmation should be based on the benefit of the
doubt.  That's why I will vote no on his confirmation. Thank you for your
valuable support over the past few weeks. Sincerely, Senator Ted Kennedy
P.S.  I just finished giving a speech at the Center for American Progress
that covered my decision in further detail.  You can get the full text here:
http://www.tedkennedy.com/alitospeech
<http://www.tedkennedy.com/page/m/gs7v1ffnlgs/00vGhN>