[Davis Democrats] From Dem. Candidate Debra Bowen-Calif. Secretary of State-Election integrity hearings today!

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Mon Jul 31 17:35:51 PDT 2006

------ Forwarded Message
From: Debra Bowen <info at debrabowen.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 20:01:27 GMT
To: john  chendo <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: Election integrity hearings start today!

   <http://www.debrabowen.com>

  Dear john ,
 <https://secure.ga3.org/03/bowen/nQpMuLhn1lR4n?source=hearings_july06>
You helped us win the Primary, now help us win the General Election.
Contribute today!
<https://secure.ga3.org/03/bowen/nQpMuLhn1lR4n?source=hearings_july06>

Over the past few weeks since winning the June 6th Democratic primary, our
campaign has been diligently laying the groundwork for a general election
victory in November.

We're working hard to map out our media strategy, secure new endorsements,
and finance the kind of statewide operation we'll need to win.  And I'm
continuing to travel across the state, meeting voters and speaking out about
what I will do to clean-up our elections system as California's next
Secretary of State.

But we still have a lot of work to do.  Spreading our message across
California will take thousands of volunteers and millions of dollars.  You
can give us the early boost we need -- right now -- to fuel our campaign
heading into the dog days of summer.

Help me build a statewide campaign that will win in November -- please
contribute today!
<https://secure.ga3.org/03/bowen/nQpMuLhn1lR4n?source=hearings_july06%>

California's elections system still faces serious problems -- and don't let
anyone tell you any differently. Unfortunately, our current Republican
Secretary of State has not done what it takes to fix those problems.

Last week, computer scientists David Dill, Doug Jones, and Barbara Simons --
three experts in electronic voting systems -- wrote an op-ed describing yet
another serious security flaw in the software used to run Diebold voting
machines, a flaw that Michael Shamos, a voting system examiner in
Pennsylvania, called ³the most severe security flaw ever discovered in a
voting system.²  According to Dill, Jones, and Simons:

> Diebold included a "back door" in its software, allowing anyone to change or
> modify the software. There are no technical safeguards in place to ensure that
> only authorized people can make changes.  A malicious individual with access
> to a voting machine could rig the software without being detected.

What's more, according to Dill, Jones, and Simons, Diebold has known about
this problem for at least two years.

Yet despite many serious security flaws, Diebold machines are still being
used in more than 20 California counties.  And apparently our
Schwarzenegger-appointed Secretary of State Bruce McPherson doesn't see any
problem with this.

I believe California deserves better.  We deserve an elections system that
is safe, accurate, and secure.  And as California's next Secretary of State,
that's what I'll deliver.

Help me clean up California's elections system -- please contribute to my
campaign today!
<https://secure.ga3.org/03/bowen/nQpMuLhn1lR4n?source=hearings_july06>

Starting today, I'm chairing a series of hearings to investigate the voting
problems experienced in California during the June 6th primary election.
I'm looking forward to learning more about these election problems
first-hand, starting today in Bakersfield -- and I'm looking forward even
more to fixing them!

That's what I'll do as California's next Secretary of State.  But I can't
get there without your help.

Please contribute $25, $50, $100, or whatever you can afford today -- give
our campaign a boost heading into these last 100 days before Election Day!
<https://secure.ga3.org/03/bowen/nQpMuLhn1lR4n?source=hearings_july06>

Thanks so much for your continued support.  On to victory!

Sincerely,

Debra Bowen
California State Senator

P.S.  Please forward this message along to 5 friends
<http://ga3.org/debrabowen/join-forward.html?domain=debrabowen&r=QpMuLhn1lR4
n&source=hearings_july06>  who share our commitment to safe, accurate, and
secure elections in California!

Contribute Today! <https://secure.ga3.org/03/bowen/nQpMuLhn1lR4n?>
Paid for by Debra Bowen for Secretary of State
578 Washington Blvd. #409, Marina del Rey, CA 90292
(c) 2006 Debra Bowen for Secretary of State, ID #1271345

  Invite your friends and family to join Debra Bowen's campaign for
Secretary of State today!
  Tell-a-friend!
<http://ga3.org/join-forward.html?domain=debrabowen&r=QpMuLhn1lR4n>

  If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for Debra
Bowen For Secretary of State
<http://ga3.org/debrabowen/join.html?r=QpMuLhn1lR4nE> .