[Davis Democrats] Support U.S. Senate Jt. Resolution 36--bring our combat troops home in 2006

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Fri Jun 2 16:37:45 PDT 2006

------ Forwarded Message
From: John Kerry <info at johnkerry.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 13:48:28 -0500
To: <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: Our responsibility on Iraq

 <http://www.johnkerry.com/action/call/senate/?sc=e.20060602>

Dear John,

It's as simple as this. Most members of Congress, myself included, share
some responsibility for getting us into Iraq. We've got to take
responsibility for getting us out.

Since April, hundreds of thousands of you have joined me in calling for a
change in policy, a change in course -- for Iraq, and for Americans here at
home. Now let's turn the volume up higher. Washington needs to hear your
voice.

The violence continues to spiral in Iraq. But, instead of a deadline to
bring our troops home and put the future of Iraq in the hands of Iraqi
leaders, we get half-hearted comments about past mistakes, and cynical
political calculation.

Last month, I introduced Senate Joint Resolution 36 which calls for the
withdrawal of our combat troops from Iraq by the end of this year. In the
next few weeks, I am urging the Senate to take a strong stand on Iraq and
pass this Resolution. It's time to put the future of Iraq where it belongs -
in the hands of the Iraqi people and their leaders. Our valiant soldiers
have done their job.

Tell your Senators: support Senate Joint Resolution 36 to bring our combat
troops home in 2006
<http://www.johnkerry.com/action/call/senate/?sc=e.20060602>

President Bush wants to stumble along, perpetuating his mistakes for the
remainder of his time in office. He's even suggested that decisions about
withdrawing all of our troops from Iraq will be for the next president to
make.

And, instead of statesmanship, the president's top advisor, Karl Rove, is
worrying that the war has put voters in a "sour mood" for the 2006
elections. He should be worried about the safety of our troops, not the job
security of Republican congressmen.

It took President Bush three years to admit he was wrong to say 'bring it
on.' We can't afford years to go by until he admits the standstill in Iraq
today is wrong.

Tell your Senators: support Senate Joint Resolution 36 to bring our combat
troops home in 2006
<http://www.johnkerry.com/action/call/senate/?sc=e.20060602>

After months of squabbling and delay, we now hear that the new Iraqi
government will complete its cabinet in a matter of days. So, it's time to
act -- time to keep the pressure on.

Iraqi leaders have only responded to deadlines -- a deadline to transfer
authority to a provisional government, a deadline to hold three elections,
and their own constitutional deadline to establish a unity government.

Now we must set another deadline to get our combat troops out and get Iraq
up on its own two feet. We must agree with the new Iraqi government on a
schedule for withdrawing American combat forces by the end of this year.

Doing so will empower the new Iraqi leadership, put Iraqis in the position
of running their own country, and undermine support for the insurgency,
which is fueled in large measure by the majority of Iraqis who want us to
leave their country.

Tell your Senators: support Senate Joint Resolution 36 to bring our combat
troops home in 2006
<http://www.johnkerry.com/action/call/senate/?sc=e.20060602>

Our soldiers have done their job, and America is grateful to them for their
honor and sacrifice. Now it's time for the Iraqis to do their job of
securing and governing their country and it is time to get our combat troops
home in 2006. Only troops essential to finishing the job of training Iraqi
forces should remain.

We need blunt talk and clear plans -- and only pressure from you can force
Washington to change course.

I am committed to forcing Congress to speak out on Iraq. Yesterday in Los
Angeles I made it clear that I'm not going to stop fighting until we have a
change in policy. I urge you to keep supporting our efforts to force action
when lives are on the line and leadership is desperately needed.

Sincerely,

John Kerry

 <https://contribute.johnkerry.com/form.html?sc=7054>

Paid for by Friends of John Kerry, Inc.

We apologize if you received this message in error. Click here to
unsubscribe
<http://forms.johnkerry.com/unsubscribe/unsubscribe.html?email=jac07@dcn.org
&h=31e8e1cbca9f38154fffd1939a10cb71>  from our mailing list.

 Friends of John Kerry, Inc., 511 C St. NE, Washington DC, 20002, U.S.A.