[Davis Democrats] FW: Dem Governor assures paper-trail voting for New Mexico--webcast Thursday 10am

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Wed Mar 1 19:35:51 PST 2006

------ Forwarded Message
From: California Democratic Party <info at cadem.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 18:32:56 -0800
To: Friend <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: Democratic Governors in Action

Dear California Democrat: I'm pleased to pass this information on about my
good friend Gov. Bill Richardson, Chair of the Democratic Governor's
Association, signing innovative legislation to transition the state of New
Mexico to an all paper-ballot system, using optical scanners to count the
vote.  I applaud Gov. Richardson for taking real action to help voters in
his state feel confident that every vote is counted. Improving voter
confidence will go a long way in helping combat voter apathy, which is so
important for the 2006 mid-term elections.  Here in California, where we
have had one election after another, addressing voter fatigue and a general
distrust in the voting system is especially important. California needs to
elect a Democratic governor who can bring fresh ideas to our state.  In the
next few months we will be sharing some of what Democratic governors are
doing in their states, to show what can be done when you have progressive,
forward-thinking leadership. Sincerely,
Senator Art Torres (Ret.)
Chair, California Democratic Party Highlighting New Mexico Governor Bill
Richardson: The 2000 election shook our nation's faith in the electoral
process.  In 2004, inaccurate exit polling raised doubts about electronic
voting machines without verifiable paper records.  We know that these
electronic voting machines can be manipulated to change, lose and corrupt
our votes, and we must take action now to protect the security of our
elections.

On Thursday, March 2, Governor Bill Richardson will take a bold step toward
guaranteeing that every vote will count.  He will sign legislation that will
transition New Mexico to an all paper ballot voting system.   The machines
will provide speed and efficiency while the hand-marked paper ballots serve
as the ultimate record of the will of the voters. This legislation makes New
Mexico a leader in ensuring fair, accurate, and verifiable elections.
Governor Richardson proudly holds New Mexico up as a model for the rest of
the country and urges citizens and officials from every state to work
together, as they have in New Mexico, to protect the gift of democracy. We
hope you will join the Governor, concerned citizens and legislators as the
Governor's signature moves New Mexico forward by ensuring that our democracy
continues to flourish.   The live webcast will begin Thursday at 11:00am MST
(1:00pm Eastern) and can be viewed at:
www.billrichardson2006.com/reform/paperballots
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?ID=M714564115801634024616865> Please watch
the webcast, take a moment to look at the Governor's proposals, and sign the
petition in support of Gov. Richardson's efforts.
Paid for by the California Democratic Party
1401 21st Street, Suite 200, Sacramento CA 95814
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate committee.

To prevent mailbox filters from deleting mailings from California Democratic
Party, add info at cadem.org to your address book.

To remove yourself from all mailings from California Democratic Party,
please click here
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?ID=M714564125801634024616865> .

To modify your profile, please click here.
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?ID=M714564135801634024616865>