[Davis Democrats] FW: DNC Alert: Ports and Security

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Tue Mar 7 12:48:49 PST 2006

To: John Chendo <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: DNC Alert: Ports and Security

     Dear John, Last week, President Bush continued to assert his support
for the controversial port deal. Democratic lawmakers stood united in
opposition and introduced legislation to ban companies owned or controlled
by foreign governments from acquiring U.S. port operations. Also last week,
new video released by the Associated Press revealed that President Bush was
briefed about potential failure of the levees in New Orleans before
Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast. The video contradicts earlier Bush
statements. On the 3rd anniversary of the establishment of the Department of
Homeland Security, Rep. Bennie Thompson released a report highlighting the
failures of the Bush Administration and Congressional Republicans. To read
the report, please click here
<http://a9.g.akamai.net/7/9/8082/v001/democratic1.download.akamai.com/8082/p
dfs/secofc/20060303_RepublicanFailures.pdf> . Democrats should emphasize our
Party's efforts to secure our ports and our commitment to rebuilding the
Gulf Coast region. Talking points on both issues follow.

PORT SECURITY MAIN POINT: Five years after 9/11, President Bush has failed
to make our nation's ports safe and secure. Democrats believe we should not
outsource our port security to any foreign government. The Bush
Administration has a pre-9/11 mentality and the American people no longer
believe Republicans can keep them secure.
* We should not let foreign government-owned companies run our already
porous ports. The Bush White House should not allow the port deal to go
through before the 45-day review is over.
* The Bush Administration's failure to address port security reflects a
pre-9/11 mentality.
* Karl Rove and the Republicans still argue that the issue of security will
propel them to victory in 2006, but the truth is Republican leaders are weak
on security. They:
> * Failed to capture Osama Bin Laden.
> * Ignored the recommendations of the 9/11 commission, leaving our borders,
> chemical plants and other key infrastructure vulnerable.
> * Failed to properly equip our troops with the body armor and equipment they
> need, and stretched our military force dangerously thin.
> * Consistently ignored the advice and recommendations of commanders on the
> ground in Iraq.
> * Are failing to address the other clear threat to our security in Iran and
> North Korea which has now re-started their nuclear program.
* The American people no longer think Republicans can keep them secure. A
CBS News poll found a 43 percent approval rating for Bush's handling of
terrorism. According to an LA Times polls, 58 percent of people say they
oppose allowing the Dubai-based company to oversee shipping operations at
U.S. ports.
* Democrats will never outsource security of America's ports. Democrats will
continue to fight to close the gaps in our nation's security. Democrats have
long argued that the White House is dangerously under-funding port security
and also fought to increase funding for border security and cargo
inspection.
KATRINA VIDEOTAPES MAIN POINT: Despite President Bush's claims, the federal
government was not fully prepared for Hurricane Katrina and he ignored vital
warning signs. The Bush Administration's response to Hurricane Katrina shows
just how vulnerable we still are, five years after 9/11.
* The videotapes are evidence of the incompetent leadership in the White
House that occurred before, during and after Hurricane Katrina. Instead of
asking questions and finding solutions for the people of New Orleans, the
President read his talking points.
* The warning signs were clear and unmistakable. The Bush Administration
knew that the levees could fail and did not take action to secure them.
* The Bush Administration's response to Hurricane Katrina shows just how
vulnerable we still are, five years after 9/11. Americans have a lost
confidence in the Bush Administration and the Republicans in Washington.
* This is why Democrats have been calling for a thorough investigation.
Republicans in Congress have consistently stonewalled Democrats' efforts to
hold a thorough investigation of what happened in the run-up to Hurricane
Katrina, and during the disastrous federal response.
* Democrats understand that homeland security begins with hometown security.
Democrats remain committed to ensuring that our ports and our transportation
systems are secure, and that our first responders have the resources and
support that they need to protect our communities.
* America can do better and we must learn from the mistakes made so that the
next time we promise to be fully prepared, we are. Democrats will continue
to fight to restore leadership in Washington that tells the American people
the truth.

For those of you receiving this email from the Secretary of the Democratic
National Committee for the first time, we are reaching out to Democratic
leaders across the nation. We hope you will use this material on talk radio,
for letters to the editor, and share it with your activist community. We
would appreciate your feedback or other information that might be of help to
us. Lastly, if there are others who may be interested in being included,
please send us their names and email addresses. Thanks again for your help.
 Paid for and authorized by the Democratic National Committee,
www.democrats.org <http://www.democrats.org/> . This communication is not
authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.

 Contributions or gifts to the Democratic National Committee are not
deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.

DNC, 430 S. Capitol St. SE, Washington DC 20003