[Davis Democrats] FW: from John Edwards-A National Disgrace--vote to raise the minimum wage from $5.15 per hour

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Thu Mar 9 19:50:15 PST 2006

------ Forwarded Message
From: John Edwards <John at OneAmericaCommittee.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 15:56:04 GMT
To: john  chendo <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: A National Disgrace

Dear john , Where I come from, what matters the most isn't how much you
have, it's how hard you're willing to work. Work gives pride, dignity, and
hope to our lives and our communities. But too many families are working
full-time and have nothing to show for it. They are raising their kids in
poverty and living in fear that one health crisis or pink slip will drive
them over the edge. A single mom with two kids who works full-time for the
minimum wage is about $2,000 below the poverty line. The minimum wage has
been stuck at $5.15 per hour for ten years--while costs for health care,
housing, child care, transportation and everything else have skyrocketed and
executive pay has steadily increased. Executives have figured out how to pay
themselves more, while paying their workers less. It's a disgrace--but not a
surprise--that poverty is up for the fourth year in a row. It is time--past
time--to reward work with an increase in the federal minimum wage. Senator
Ted Kennedy is reaching out to us for help. He has sponsored a bill to
increase the minimum wage in three increments to $7.25 an hour. And he's
asking us to sign on as citizen co-sponsors of his bill to show the broad
base of support in the country for increasing the minimum wage. We can win
this fight. Last year, we were able to get 46 Senators to vote in favor of
increasing the minimum wage, even though some supporters were out of town at
the time of the vote. We can pass Senator Kennedy's bill this year, but only
if people across the nation show they care about the issue. I was honored
and excited that Senator Kennedy had learned about the power of our online
community. He's put his faith in us. Now we need to deliver our signatures
to him. http://www.oneamericacommittee.com/minwagecosponsor
<http://ga3.org/ct/J7LhLvM1fRti/> You've heard me talk about the two
Americas. One America that does the work, another America that reaps the
reward. One America that pays the taxes, another America that gets the tax
breaks. One America that will do anything to leave its children a better
life, another America that never has to do a thing because its children are
already set for life. These concerns are catching fire across the nation.
Right now, coalitions are working to increase the minimum wage through
ballot initiatives in Arizona, Michigan, Montana, Arkansas, Nevada, and
Ohio. I am traveling to each of these states to work with local leaders and
help energize support for these initiatives. And I want to take advantage of
the momentum growing across the country to pass Senator Kennedy's bill at
the national level. All workers--no matter where they live--need a boost in
their wages. Senator Kennedy and I plan to personally deliver your names to
Republican Senate leaders. This effort is an important step toward creating
One America. One America where you have something to show for it if you work
full-time--a savings account, your own home, the chance to live in a good
neighborhood with good schools, and the ability to afford college. Believe
me, the lobbyists for the business interests who oppose increasing the
minimum wage have tremendous influence over Congress. A broad coalition of
grassroots organizations, labor unions and religious groups are working hard
to level the playing field. We need to show our strength in numbers--please
encourage your friends and colleagues to become citizen co-sponsors of
Senator Kennedy's bill as well.
http://www.oneamericacommittee.com/minwagecosponsor
<http://ga3.org/ct/J7LhLvM1fRti/> Thank you for taking action and for all
that you do. Your friend,

John
If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for updates here
<http://ga3.org/join/join.html?r=tpLhLvM15zvmE&>
If you would like to unsubscribe from email communications sent by One
America Committee, or update your account settings, please click here
<http://ga3.org/join/smp.tcl?nkey=ww3eggizv5b6n85&>  or respond to this
email with "REMOVE" as the subject line.

Paid for by One America Committee, www.oneamericacommittee.com.
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate committee.
Contributions to One America Committee are not deductible for federal income
tax purposes.

 <http://www.getactive.com>