[Davis Democrats] Impeachment Progress! C-SPAN & Washington Post

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Fri Mar 31 11:05:14 PST 2006

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Bill Goodman, the Center for Constitutional Rights"
<ccr at democracyinaction.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:44:24 -0500 (EST)
To: <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: Good News on Impeachment Progress! C-SPAN & Washington Post

 <http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=101583139&url_num=1&url
=http://www.ccr-ny.org/v2/home.asp>

  Dear Friend,

I have great news.  Thanks to your help, we are making progress on holding
President Bush accountable and advancing an impeachment inquiry.

The Washington Post just ran a front-page story about impeaching President
Bush, quoting two attorneys from the Center for Constitutional Rights.
Click here to read this important story.
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=101583139&url_num=2&url=
http://www.ccr-ny.org/v2/newsroom/headlines/headline.asp?ObjID=t7zEPRceKj&am
p;Content=750>

That¹s not all.  This Sunday, C-SPAN 2 is broadcasting a panel discussion on
the CCR impeachment book that we recently convened. You can see me and
several other CCR attorneys outlining the case for impeachment this Sunday,
April 2 at 4pm (Eastern Time) on the BookTV segment of CSPAN 2.

Please consider taking a moment to spread the word about this important
movement to hold the President accountable and protect our democracy.
Forward this email so others can see the Washington Post story and consider
watching our event on Sunday at 4pm.

Of course, today the Senate Judiciary Committee is also considering a
resolution to censure President Bush for illegal domestic spying. This is a
start, but a censure resolution will not: Remove a single wiretap from
Americans' phones; end the Iraq War; halt U.S. government torture or stop
the President¹s other violations of the constitutional principle of the
separation of powers.  Impeachment will ensure thorough investigation, real
accountability and the restoration of our Constitution.  Please take a
moment now to forward this email to spread the word. You can also
click here to make sure your representative supports the resolution to
investigate impeachment.
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=101583139&url_num=3&url=
http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizationsORG/ccr/campaign.jsp?campa
ign_KEY=2702>

 <http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=101583139&url_num=4&url
=http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/hq/www.ccr-ny.org/impeachment> Thank
you for taking the time to act today
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=101583139&url_num=5&url=
http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizationsORG/ccr/campaign.jsp?campa
ign_KEY=2702>   , and I hope you will watch our impeachment event this
Sunday at 4pm (EST) on C-SPAN 2.

Sincerely,

William Goodman
Legal Director, Center for Constitutional Rights

P.S. Please spread the word and forward this article to friends:

Near Paul Revere Country, Anti-Bush Cries Get Louder
Washington Post
HOLYOKE, Mass. -- To drive through the mill towns and curling country roads
here is to journey into New England's impeachment belt. Three of this
state's 10 House members have called for the investigation and possible
impeachment of President Bush.
Thirty miles north, residents in four Vermont villages voted earlier this
month at annual town meetings to buy more rock salt, approve school budgets,
and impeach the president for lying about Iraq having weapons of mass
destruction and for sanctioning torture.
Window cleaner Ira Clemons put down his squeegee in the lobby of a city mall
and stroked his goatee as he considered the question: Would you support your
congressman's call to impeach Bush? His smile grew until it looked like a
three-quarters moon.
"Why not? The man's been lying from Jump Street on the war in Iraq," Clemons
said. "Bush says there were weapons of mass destruction, but there wasn't.
Says we had enough soldiers, but we didn't. Says it's not a civil war -- but
it is." He added: "I was really upset about 9/11 -- so don't lie to me."
It would be a considerable overstatement to say the fledgling impeachment
movement threatens to topple a presidency -- there are just 33 House
co-sponsors of a motion by Rep. John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.) to investigate
and perhaps impeach Bush, and a large majority of elected Democrats think it
is a bad idea. But talk bubbles up in many corners of the nation, and on the
Internet, where several Web sites have led the charge, giving liberals an
outlet for anger that has been years in the making.
"The value of a powerful idea, like impeachment of the president for
criminal acts, is that it has a long shelf life and opens a debate," said
Bill Goodman of the Center for Constitutional Rights, which represents
Guantanamo Bay detainees...
For the entire article, please click here.
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=101583139&url_num=6&url=
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/24/AR2006032402
248_pf.html>

<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=101583139&url_num=7&url=