[Davis Democrats] Call Congress - Votes on Tax Reconciliation this Week

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Tue May 9 17:03:06 PDT 2006

------ Forwarded Message
From: Fair Taxes For All <support at fairtaxes4all.org>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 17:01:50 -0400
To: Fair Taxes For All <support at fairtaxes4all.org>
Subject: [FTFA Coalition]: Call Congress - Votes on Tax Reconciliation this
Week

Say No to More Tax Cuts for the Rich at the Expense of Those in Need!

This week both the Senate and House are expected to vote on H.R. 4297 - the
$70 billion tax cut reconciliation bill. The centerpiece of the deal is the
two-year extension of tax cuts for capital gains and dividends that will
primarily benefit millionaires and is the companion to the ³Deficit
Reduction Act² signed by President Bush in February, which cut nearly $39
billion from Medicaid, Medicare, student loans, child support enforcement
and other services to help pay for these tax cuts. It is a critical week for
members of Congress to show whether they stand for America¹s families or the
special interests

Call your Senators and Representative NOW!
You can use this toll-free number: 800-459-1887 OR click here to find your
Members¹ direct office number
<http://capwiz.com/nwlc/utr/0/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcapwiz.com%2Fnwlc%2Fdbq%2Foffi
cials>  if toll-free lines are busy.

Tell Your Senators:

·        Vote ³NO² on the tax cut reconciliation bill, H.R. 4297. It is a
giveaway to the wealthy and powerful few, financed by cuts in health care,
education, child care, and other vital services and a growing burden of debt
for our children. Cutting services to pay for more tax cuts for millionaires
are the wrong priorities.

Tell Your Representative:

·        Vote ³NO² on the tax cut reconciliation bill, H.R. 4297. It is a
giveaway to the wealthy and powerful few, paid for by cuts in health care,
education, child care, and other vital services and a growing burden of debt
for our children.

·        Vote ³NO² on any budget proposal that threatens education, child
care, health care, nutrition, and other vital services that women and their
families rely upon. Cutting services to pay for more tax cuts for
millionaires are the wrong priorities.

 (Thanks again to the American Friends Service Committee for providing the
800 number and to several generous organizations who have shared in the
cost.)

BACKGROUND

An analysis <http://www.cbpp.org/5-4-06tax.htm>  by the Center on Budget and
Policy Priorities using data from the Tax Policy Center shows that H.R. 4297
would give households with incomes over $1 million with an average tax cut
of $42,000. In contrast, middle-income households would get an average tax
cut of just $20. Households with incomes under $75,000‹who represent over
three-quarters of all households‹would get just five percent of the tax
benefits.

Adding insult to injury, House and Senate conferees on H.R. 4297 rejected
proposals to cut back on tax breaks for the oil industry to help pay for the
new tax cuts. Instead, they are relying on an outrageous budget gimmick
<http://www.cbpp.org/4-25-06tax.htm> : using a new tax cut for the wealthy
to ³pay for² another tax cut for the wealthy.
Contrary to claims by the Administration, tax cuts have failed
<http://www.cbpp.org/pubs/tax-facts.pdf>  to yield strong economic growth or
pay for themselves. By squandering the revenues we need to maintain vital
services and invest in our future, the tax cuts are threatening our families
and our nation¹s future.

Sarah Fishman
Campaign Assistant
Fair Taxes For All