[Davis Democrats] FW: Hit Mickey Mouse Where He Hurts: Stop Big Media

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Fri Sep 8 21:03:57 PDT 2006

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Timothy Karr, FreePress.net" <list at freepress.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 21:13:40 GMT
To: Adrienne Kandel <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: Hit Mickey Mouse Where He Hurts: Stop Big Media

 <http://www.freepress.net/>

  Dear Adrienne,
 <http://www.stopbigmedia.com/mickey.php> Should Mickey Set the Agenda? Tell
the FCC to Stop Big Media <http://action.freepress.net/ct/Z7MaYHE19cDh/>

ABC's plan to air an inaccurate 9-11 "docudrama" has ignited public outrage
with hundreds of thousands of people sending letters to Disney headquarters
and local ABC stations protesting their willful distortion of history.

These media protests have had an impact, but the root problem will remain
unless we act now to stop media giants from becoming even more powerful.

Hit Disney Where it Hurts:
Tell the FCC to Stop Consolidation
<http://action.freepress.net/ct/Z7MaYHE19cDh/>
Rampant media consolidation over the last two decades has put control over
the media in the hands of a few large corporations. We see it in action now.

Local stations have been instructed by ABC -- and its corporate owners at
Disney -- to air "The Path to 9/11" a five-hour "docudrama" that is riddled
with falsehoods about events that lead to the September 11 terrorist
attacks.

Disney appears set to recklessly wield control over local television for
ratings and political gain. Media ownership matters. It is time to rollback
rampant media consolidation and defend localism and public service.

Tell the FCC to Stop Big Media's Abuse of the Airwaves
<http://action.freepress.net/ct/Z7MaYHE19cDh/>
"The Path to 9/11" reportedly features a series of fictionalized scenes,
written by a right-wing activist, that are in direct conflict with the
bi-partisan 9-11 Commission's report. Now, Disney is forcing local
broadcasters to air these falsehoods in our communities.

The Federal Communications Commission is poised to give companies like
Disney even more power over our airwaves. FCC Chairman Kevin Martin has
asked the public to comment on his plans to let conglomerates like Disney
buy up even more of our local stations. Tell Disney and the Chairman Martin
that enough is enough:

Take Action to Stop Big Media
<http://action.freepress.net/ct/Z7MaYHE19cDh/>
No matter your politics, we should all embrace the public's right to have a
strong voice in how the broadcasters use our airwaves. Sadly, the local
station owners that are most responsive to our interests are being pushed
around by conglomerates like Disney.

It's time that the FCC responded to the public and limited Big Media's
damaging influence on our democracy.

Onward,

Timothy Karr
Campaign Director
Free Press
www.freepress.net

 P.S. -- To learn more, visit www.StopBigMedia.com
<http://action.freepress.net/ct/ZdMaYHE19cDy/> , a broad-based coalition of
consumer advocates, public interest, media reform, organized labor and other
groups that have joined together to fight runaway media consolidation. To
learn more about the controversy surrounding the ABC "docudrama," visit
"Tell The Truth About 9-11" <http://action.freepress.net/ct/K7MaYHE19cDm/> .

P.P.S. -- Disney Plays Politics:

1. While Disney is marketing "Path to 9/11" as an accurate retelling of the
9-11 Commission it also claims that "for dramatic and narrative purposes,
the movie contains fictionalized scenes, composite and representative
characters and dialogue, and time compression." It's so rife with falsehoods
that an FBI agent who was brought in to consult on the docudrama quit
because, he said, "they were making things up." (more
<http://action.freepress.net/ct/Z1MaYHE19cDU/> )

2. The docudrama's scriptwriter -- a noted conservative -- admits that the
film's most controversial scene -- where a Clinton administration official
passes up an opportunity to kill Osama Bin Ladin -- was based on nothing at
all, telling a right-wing radio station that the scene was "improvised."
(more <http://action.freepress.net/ct/ZpMaYHE19cDn/> )

3. ABC/Disney also planned to distribute the historically false "Path to
9/11" to more than 25,000 American classrooms, via lesson plans created by
Scholastic -- the world's largest publisher of children's books -- with whom
Disney has lucrative content sharing deals. The study guide suggested that
former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein had a role in the Sept. 11, 2001,
terrorist attacks. Yesterday, Scholastic cancelled distribution after
thousands wrote the company to complain. (more
<http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2006/09/08/abcs_911_f
ilm_incenses_democrats/> )

page <http://action.freepress.net/freepress/smp.tcl?nkey=i78nieb2zjjd6x5&>
to modify your email communication preferences or update your personal
profile. To stop receiving E-Activist Network, click to unsubscribe
<http://action.freepress.net/freepress/remove-domain-direct.tcl?ctx=subscrip
tion&nkey=i78nieb2zjjd6x5&> . To stop ALL email from Free Press, click to
remove
<http://action.freepress.net/freepress/remove-domain-direct.tcl?ctx=center&n
key=i78nieb2zjjd6x5&>  yourself from our lists (or reply via email with
"remove or unsubscribe" in the subject line).

 <https://secure.freepress.net/05/actionfund> You (jac07 at dcn.org) are
receiving this as a Free Press E-Activist
<http://www.freepress.net/action/signup.php> . To stop receiving these
messages, click here
 <http://>