[Davis Democrats] If it's broken, fix it-from Sen. John Kerry

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Sat Jul 21 12:42:42 PDT 2007

------ Forwarded Message
From: John Kerry <info at johnkerry.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:43:02 -0400
To: Chendo <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: If it's broken, fix it

   Hello Chendo,

Bottom line - no sugarcoating it -- I'm not happy we couldn't break the GOP
filibuster on Iraq. But I'm writing just to let you know that I can feel the
progress we're making.

Here's what I take away from the week that's ending. First, you've got a
whole lot of Senators who voiced opposition to the current disastrous course
in Iraq, but couldn't bring themselves to admit that we needed an open
debate on what the new course should be. They filibustered, throwing up a
roadblock to any new course. (OK, that's deeply frustrating - but then again
two years ago could you imagine the day when the President would have such
intense criticism from his own right flank on Iraq? The dam is breaking.)

But most importantly, we're not going to let the roadblock stand. We, and I
mean all of us who have been pressing and pressing on the war, have now made
it clear in both parties that this Iraq policy is beyond broken. Last year,
only 13 Senators voted for the Kerry-Feingold bill to set a deadline to
redeploy; now it's the unified Democratic position. In May, Republicans were
dismissing even tough questions about the escalation. Now, they're falling
all over themselves to distance themselves from the President.

So we're making progress. But progress doesn't mean anything to the troops
in the field. We need to get results. It's just plain wrong for some people
to admit that the policy is broken, but then filibuster attempts to fix it.
If the policy is broken, we owe it to all Americans to hold open debate and
arrive at a solution.

We'll keep slugging until we'll get there.

Thanks,
John Kerry

P.S. - You and I know damn well what happens at moments like this: the
Administration attacks their opponents ruthlessly. They smear, they lie.
Yesterday they went after Sen. Clinton. I stepped up to defend her. Tomorrow
who knows which Democrat they'll attack. Here's what I'm asking you: I don't
care if you have a horse in 2008, or who you're supporting. Anytime you see
a Democrat get attacked, please step up and defend them.

John Kerry For U.S. Senate
    129 Portland Street, Suite 500, Boston, MA 02114-2014
info at johnkerry.com
www.johnkerry.com <http://cp20.com/Tracking/t.c?HjY-Z9O-2OWoP8>
  Paid For By John Kerry For U.S. Senate

    You are subscribed to this newsletter as jac07 at dcn.org. Please click
here <http://cp20.com/Tracking/t.fo?HjY--9w3-2OWoP4>  to modify your message
preferences or to unsubscribe from any future mailings.  We will respect all
unsubscribe requests.