[Davis Democrats] Call Congress: End this Endless War-Support Barbara Lee's Amendment-

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Tue Mar 13 15:53:11 PDT 2007

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Tim Carpenter, for PDA" <listmaster at supporters.pdamerica.org>
Date: 13 Mar 2007 16:33:28 -0000
To: <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: Call Congress: End this Endless War

Antiwar forces have united behind Barbara Lee¹s Amendment to the Iraq
supplemental appropriation bill.  The Lee Amendment calls for a
fully-funded, orderly withdrawal of all U.S. troops and military contractors
from Iraq by the end of 2007.  The last week has seen two concurrent
developments:
> 1)  Furious backroom dealing and arm-twisting on Capitol Hill to get
> progressive Congress members to fall in behind the Democratic leadership¹s
> Iraq bill that has loopholes and delays that could prolong the U.S.
> occupation. 2)  Grassroots lobbying of Congressional offices demanding that
> Democrats heed the November election results by getting our troops safely out
> of Iraq¹s civil war ­ no loopholes, no delays.
So please call (and get others to call) Congress behind the Lee Amendment
and fully-funded withdrawal by the end of 2007.  The toll-free number into
Congress is 1-888-851-1879.  (If you prefer emailing
<http://capwiz.com/pdamerica/dbq/officials>  to Congress, do that.) Urge
Congress members to co-sponsor or support the Lee Amendment (see text here
<http://pdamerica.org/articles/campaigns/2007-03-12-19-58-29-campaigns.php>
), and demand that Democratic leaders at least allow a vote on the
amendment. It is antiwar sentiment among the broad public, and pressure from
activists, that has pushed Democratic leaders to set some timetables.  But
the leadership¹s Iraq bill (after Bush certifies that ³benchmarks² are being
met) would keep U.S. troops in Iraq until August 2008 -- and indefinitely as
part of anti-terrorist or training missions. Each day since March 5,
different national groups in our alliance ­ vets, military families, and
peace groups ­ have taken responsibility to mobilize phone calls to Congress
from their members.  In the next 36 hours, all groups are uniting for one
final call-in push: 1-888-851-1879.

 Click here <http://blog.pdamerica.org/?p=1011#comments>  to post or see
comments about the call-in to Congress.

Progressive Democrats of America is a grassroots PAC that works both inside
the Democratic Party and outside in movements for peace and justice. Our
goal: Extend the victory of Nov. 2006 into a permanent, progressive
majority.  PDA¹s advisory board includes six members of Congress and
activist leaders such as Tom Hayden, Cindy Sheehan, Medea Benjamin and Rev.
Lennox Yearwood. More info: http://pdamerica.org/ <http://pdamerica.org/> .

Authorized and Paid for by Progressive Democrats of America.
Not authorized by any candidate or candidate committee.

To unsubscribe from this list visit this link
<http://supporters.pdamerica.org/lists/?p=unsubscribe>
To update your preferences visit this link
<http://supporters.pdamerica.org/lists/?p=preferences>

Invite friends to subscribe:
http://pdamerica.org/join-ind.php