[Davis Democrats] SHARE Fundraiser

Rhonda & Anthony Gruska rjgruska at pacbell.net
Wed May 2 14:42:23 PDT 2007

  Dear Friends,

The disastrous consequences of Hurricane Katrina continue to affect the lives of thousands of Americans.  Few would disagree that Hurricane Katrina was the costliest and one of the deadliest hurricanes in the history of the United States.  But today many Americans are suffering from what Bob Hebert, New York Times reporter, calls  “Katrina Fatigue.”

        SHARE, Students Helping in Aftermath Relief and Education, at UC Davis wants to do something about this and we need your support.  SHARE is recognized by UC Davis as a student organization, but it receives no funding or budgetary support.  We rely on the efforts of our volunteers and any funds we can raise from local businesses and members of the public.

On May 18, 2007, from 6-10pm, SHARE will be hosting its second annual benefit fundraiser, a New Orleans Jazz Festival at the Davis Veterans Memorial Center.  The evening will consist of Cajun style food prepared by the Monticello Bistro, the UCD Jazz Band, a silent auction, and a live auction. Tickets options are $40 VIP and $25 general in advance and $30 at the door.  All the proceeds will go to Martin Luther King Junior Elementary School in New Orleans.  MLK Junior needs funds to renovate buildings, replace antiquated books, and make the changes necessary to build a new educational environment and help make New Orleans a home for students once more.

 The purpose of SHARE is to raise awareness and provide relief and educational aid for victims of natural disasters, especially after media coverage and other relief efforts have dwindled.  Our goal is to recognize and act on the fact that the lives of disaster victims cannot move on as quickly as the media, and thus we strive to elicit continued support even after the spotlight dims.  A group of concerned UC Davis students founded SHARE in response to the tsunami disaster that struck Southeast Asia just over one year ago.  Last year, we raised over $10,000 to build a technology-based learning center for an orphanage in Sri Lanka to provide education and a sustainable future to hundreds of youth affected by tsunami.
      This year, we hope to raise $20,000. With your support, we can reach that number and affect long term change for the students of MLK Junior.  In addition to attending our event, we hope that you will support our endeavors by donating funds or items for our auction event.

 In return for your generosity, SHARE will make a special recognition of your donation in our event brochure.  All of us in SHARE truly appreciate your support and contribution.
    We look forward to hearing from you!
    Sincerely,
  Venita Katir

Venita Katir, President
  and the SHARE Committee at University of California, Davis
  Please make checks payable to “SHARE” or “CIS of New Orleans, Inc”

CIS New Orleans Tax ID: 72-1317054

For tickets and more information, email: share.ucd at gmail.com or call 530.635.1383

www.shareucd.com

Rhonda and Tony Gruska