[Davis Democrats] Howard Dean: Post-Election Memo

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Wed Nov 14 03:04:51 PST 2007

------ Forwarded Message
From: Howard Dean <democraticparty at democrats.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 21:28:18 -0500
To: John Chendo <jac07 at dcn.davis.ca.us>
Subject: Fwd: Post-Election Memo

   <http://www.democrats.org/50StateChallenge/>
 Dear John,I had to show you this memo that went around headquarters last
week.One key line:
> If Democrats continue to show up everywhere, run on our values, and offer
> clear solutions on the critical issues, the clear lesson of 2007 is that
> Democrats are well-positioned to win anywhere in 2008.
Last week's victories in places like Kentucky, Virginia and Mississippi
prove that 2006 wasn't a fluke. In Kentucky, Democrat Steve Beshear took
back the Governor's mansion, defeating Republican incumbent Ernie Fletcher
by a 20 point margin.  And he wasn't alone - Democrats won the Attorney
General, Auditor and Treasurer elections, sweeping the failed, corrupt
Republican leadership out of office, and they did it in the home of both
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and RNC Chairman Mike Duncan.  But
Kentucky wasn't the only place where Democrats won big. In Virginia,
Democrats made significant gains in the state House and took back the
Senate. In Mississippi, we took back the state Senate.  And in states across
the country, we had tremendous victories in local and state legislative
races.With a coordinated effort on the ground in every state -- including
your state -- we can take back the White House in 2008 and build on our
majorities in the House and Senate.  But we need 5,000 donors by the end of
the week, and people in your state have their own piece of that goal.  Can
you help us continue our work in your state? You can track the progress in
real-time:http://www.democrats.org/50StateChallenge/Virginia and Kentucky
aren't the places most people think of as Democratic -- but they're exactly
the sort of places we can win now, and win in 2008. How? By organizing
early. By attending Democratic events and meeting your neighbors, like our
"One Year Out" house parties. And by investing in the Democratic Party.You
see, with organizers on the ground in every state and an energetic base of
people like you, we're confident that Democrats can win in any state, at
every level.If you've ever wondered where your money goes when you donate to
the Democratic Party, read this memo. I think you'll see that your $10 or
$20 donation to strengthen our national party goes a long
way.http://www.democrats.org/50StateChallenge/Sincerely,Howard Dean

> [...]
> immigration as a wedge issue failedonce again. GOP efforts to fan
> anti-immigration fears and play on growing economic insecurity and voter's
> anxiety over job security, stagnating wages, higher living costs, gas prices,
> and other facets of the George W. Bush "You're On Your Own" Economy failed in
> the face of strong Democratic candidates who offered real solutions on the
> critical issues.
> * Republicans Are Losing On The Issues: The Democratic Party now has
> double-digit leads over Republicans when voters are asked which party is
> "better able to manage the federal government," is "more honest and ethical,"
> is "more concerned about people like me" (Democrats lead by 29 points), and is
> best able to bring about "needed change" (Democrats lead by 22 points). Even
> on security, Democrats and Republicans are viewed as "equally qualified to
> face down national security threats." [Pew Research Center for the People and
> the Press poll, November 2007]
> * Republican Morale is Plummeting: Only 36 percent of Republicans and
> Republican-leaning Independents say the GOP "does an excellent or good job" of
> "standing up for traditional GOP positions," a decline of 25 points since July
> 2004. [Pew Research Center for the People and the Press poll, November 2007]
> * Republicans Aren't Happy With Their Candidates: According to the latest
> UWashington PostU/ABC News poll, "Republicans continue to be less satisfied
> with their candidate options than Democrats are with theirs." [Washington
> PostU, 11/5/07] For the first time since 1979, no Republican candidate has
> been able to gain the support of more than 40 percent of Republican voters in
> the November heading into an election year. Among white evangelical voters, 51
> percent are dissatisfied with their choices and say they wish they had more
> options. [CBSNews.com, 10/18/07]
> * GOP Obstructionism Is Hurting Congressional Candidates: A recent SurveyUSA
> poll in seven states with vulnerable Republican Senate seats showed that
> Democrats are "leading or tied" in five of those races and trailing narrowly
> in another. [Roll Call, 11/5/07] This shows that the Republican Congressional
> strategy of obstructing Democratic efforts to fight for the priorities of
> America's working families is failing, and will cost them seats next year.
> THE BOTTOM LINE
> In short, while the Democratic Party is better organized, better motivated,
> and better positioned to make the case for change, the Republican Party is
> increasingly challenged by "Bush Fatigue," a damaged "brand," a shrinking and
> demoralized base, and a lack of enthusiasm for its candidates. If Democrats
> continue to show up everywhere, run on our values, and offer clear solutions
> on the critical issues, the clear lesson of 2007 is that Democrats are
> well-positioned to win anywhere in 2008.
Can you help us continue our work in your
state?http://www.democrats.org/50StateChallenge/

   <http://www.democrats.org/50StateChallenge/>

 Paid for and authorized by the Democratic National Committee,
www.democrats.org <http://www.democrats.org/page/m/579184dc842924fb/qrGKSV/>
.
 This communication is not authorized by any candidate or candidate's
committee.

 Democratic National Committee, 430 S. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC 20003

Contributions or gifts to the Democratic National Committee are not
deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.

Click here to unsubscribe from this mailing list.

DNC, 430 S. Capitol St. SE, Washington DC 20003