[Davis Democrats] Children's health program--Governors suing Bush

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Wed Oct 10 12:45:22 PDT 2007

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Gov. Bill Richardson" <info at richardsonforpresident.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:43:18 -0400
To: John Chendo <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: Help me take George Bush to court!

<http://action.richardsonforpresident.com/page/m/6ff33cf234a12981/wF7xQt/>

<http://action.richardsonforpresident.com/page/m/6ff33cf234a12981/goc6Te/>
Dear John,  Last Tuesday, I   joined 28 other Governors, from both parties,
in signing a letter to President   George W. Bush, urging him to sign the
bill extending the popular children's   health care program known as SCHIP.
SCHIP funds   basic health care for over 6 million of America's children in
all 50 states  --    mostly children from poor families with little or no
access to other health   services. Checkups for   poor children sounds like
a no-brainer, doesn't it? It's a proven fact that   children with early
access to immunizations and regular checkups do better   throughout their
lives.   And in fact, 72% of Americans in a recent poll said they
supported SCHIP.  But last week,   President Bush got our letter ... and he
threw it in the trash. He vetoed the   SCHIP reauthorization bill the very
next day, and he tried to use his veto to make   a political point.
Congressional supporters are now trying to line up the   votes for an
override next Thursday.  This wasn't a   surprise.   The President has been
openly hostile to children's   health care.   New SCHIP regulations that his
Administration issued in   August violate the intent of Congress,
interfering with the states' existing   SCHIP programs and limiting their
expansion.  And now we're   joining forces with New York, Illinois,
Maryland, New Jersey, Washington,   Arizona, and New Hampshire  --  and
we're taking President Bush to court.     Help us win our   case.    Join
the   majority by signing our petition today, and tell President Bush and
Congress   that America's children MUST NOT be pawns in a political   game!
<http://action.richardsonforpresident.com/page/m/6ff33cf234a12981/goc6Te/>
Here's what our   President  --  tone-deaf on health care, as on so many
other issues  --  had to say   about health care back in July:
>  I mean, people have access to health care in America. After all, you just
> go to an emergency room.
Is he   kidding?  When was the last time that George W. Bush  --  son of a
President, grandson of a Senator  --  tried to get basic health care in an
emergency room?  Has he ever set   foot in the kind of overtaxed,
underfunded hospital that serves low-income   neighborhoods in America's
cities?   Has he ever waited all day to see the   traveling doctor who
visits a rural community one afternoon a week?       Sat   in a crowded
hospital triage room for four hours?   Waited six weeks for an   appointment
at a public clinic?  Has George W.   Bush ever been turned away for medical
services  --  for anything  --  because he couldn't afford to   pay? Sign
our petition, and tell George W. Bush and Congress that you support   basic
health care for all of America's children.
<http://action.richardsonforpresident.com/page/m/6ff33cf234a12981/goc6Te/>
It's easy for   President Bush to play politics.   But the lives of real
children are at   stake.  Here in New Mexico, where I am Governor, the
SCHIP-funded New Mexikids program brings immunizations, regular checkups,
and   other health services to 19,000 low-income children.   We're poised to
expand the   program to cover 11,000 more.  Basic health   services, like
immunizations and regular checkups, are one of the most   cost-effective
ways of giving children a leg up in life.       But   our short-sighted
President would rather turn his back on America's children.  We must not let
this happen.   Please join me today, help us win our lawsuit, and   protect
this critically important program from political interference.  Sincerely,
Governor Bill   Richardson P.S.  You can email your Congressmember about
SCHIP by   clicking here
<http://action.richardsonforpresident.com/page/m/6ff33cf234a12981/ePzROl/> .
Help make sure that he or she knows how you   feel!
 <http://action.richardsonforpresident.com/page/m/6ff33cf234a12981/vbKAIr/>

   Paid for by Richardson for President, Inc.
 Contributions are not tax deductible for Federal income tax purposes.  All
content © 2007 Richardson for President, Inc.  To unsubscribe, go to: