[Davis Democrats] Howard Dean-Democratic Party-vs. $120 million and the FEC

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Tue Apr 15 15:17:55 PDT 2008

------ Forwarded Message
From: Howard Dean <democraticparty at democrats.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:57:30 -0400
To: john chendo <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: $120 million and the FEC

  Dear john,
<http://www.democrats.org/page/m/67640530d5bfd632/7XhgBM/VEsH/> A recent
report by the Associated Press has revealed that the Republican National
Committee is pulling together a joint fund with John McCain called the
"Victory Committee."  Its goal is to raise $120 million -- which they're
sure to spend trying to destroy our candidates.     We've seen this before
-- we know they're already launching attacks on Hillary Clinton and Barack
Obama.  And while they're tearing them down, they'll try to spin John McCain
to the American people.   It's a $120 million makeover fund, designed to
make everyone forget about the last eight years of John McCain, George Bush,
the war, the economy, Katrina, and a stunning lack of competency.   We can't
let John McCain and the RNC get away with it -- Hillary and Barack need us
to fight back while they're trying to win the nomination.   That's why I'm
making an urgent request for you to help us with a contribution today -- we
have to keep up.  They've got a head start, but we can stay competitive if
you make a contribution right now:   http://www.democrats.org/competitive
<http://www.democrats.org/page/m/67640530d5bfd632/7XhgBM/VEsE/>    This $120
million fund is about more than just money and negative ads though -- it
goes to the core of what John McCain pretends to be.   As a "maverick
reformer," he has repeatedly claimed to be a crusader for campaign finance
reform, but he has shown little regard for campaign finance law.  At the
same time, he's staffed the highest levels of his campaign with Washington
lobbyists, with one of them going so far as to work out of McCain's campaign
bus.   I emailed at the end of February about McCain's decision to break the
law and unilaterally withdraw from primary matching funds.  We filed a
complaint with the FEC that many of you signed your support for, but it has
been unable to act.   So yesterday, we sued the FEC to force an
investigation into whether McCain has violated campaign finance law.  We
refuse to let his campaign go unchecked, and we'll do whatever it takes to
make sure he is held accountable.   It takes a lot to raise $120 million,
but John McCain's staff of lobbyists knows they can count on checks from
their friends and special interests.  They can't raise the money they need
without it.   So this is what we're up against -- a $120 million fundraising
push, an opponent who's already broken campaign finance law, a team of
lobbyists who have plenty of friends to help them get the cash they need to
trash our candidates, and an FEC that is unable to act on our complaint.
We need to stay competitive, and the only way to do that is for you to make
a contribution right now:   http://www.democrats.org/competitive
<http://www.democrats.org/page/m/67640530d5bfd632/7XhgBM/VEsF/>    Your
contribution means we stay competitive.  It means we can go out and respond
to the Republican attacks while Hillary and Barack work to become our
party's nominee.   And your support means we can show the Republicans that,
as in 2005, 2006 and 2007, Democrats plan to compete everywhere -- and win.
Thanks for all that you do,   Howard Dean

 <http://www.democrats.org/page/m/67640530d5bfd632/FrtxyJ/VEsC/>

 Paid for and authorized by the Democratic National Committee,
www.democrats.org
<http://www.democrats.org/page/m/67640530d5bfd632/uGYt7s/VEsD/> .
 This communication is not authorized by any candidate or candidate's
committee.

 Democratic National Committee, 430 S. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC 20003

Contributions or gifts to the Democratic National Committee are not
deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.

Click here to unsubscribe from this mailing list.
<http://www.democrats.org/page/m/67640530d5bfd632/q64IQ2/VEsA/>

DNC, 430 S. Capitol St. SE, Washington DC 20003