[Davis Democrats] Yolo United Newsletter 8/13/08

Yolo United bdedavis at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 12:16:06 PDT 2008

This is the August 13th issue of the Yolo United newsletter. Yolo United
is a team of Democratic groups and volunteers working strategically in
Yolo County to promote democratic values for the November election and
beyond.

You may opt-out of the list by sending us a note at yolounited at gmail.com.

Send submissions for future issues or comments to Barbara Archer,
communications chair, Yolo United, at bdedavis at gmail.com.

The issues covered in this newsletter are:

• Check the Online YU Calendar for Event Dates and Times
• Be a Bean Feed Sponsor
• Yolo United Davis HQ Grand Opening – Sunday, 8/17
• Phonebanking to Battleground States Begins 8/18
• Yolo County Fair Voter Reg Drive – This Week!!
• No on Prop 8 Committee Kickoffs – 8/18 & 8/21
• Davis Democratic Club Ice Cream Social – 8/21
• Yolo United BBQ Fund Raiser – 8/22
• Obama Campaign Nevada Trip – 8/22-8/24
• Measure W Call For Support
• DDC/YU Fall BBQ/Acceptance Speech Party – 8/28
• Lois Wolk’s Luau – Save the Date – 10/10

YOLO UNITED CALENDAR
Wow, it’s getting busy. Please refer to the Yolo United events calendar
at www.yolounited.com if you need an event time or date reminder.

BEAN FEED SPONSORS – WE NEED YOU!
Yolo United is soliciting sponsorships for the September 6th, 32nd
Annual Bean Feed. Sponsorship levels are: Change Agents - $2,300
(includes 10 tickets); Federal Level - $1,000 (includes 8 tickets);
State Level - $500 (includes 6 tickets); County/Regional level - $250
(includes 4 tickets); City/Local Level - $100 (includes 2 tickets). This
event is the major fund raiser for our efforts in November!

The deadline to be listed in the event program as a sponsor is Monday,
August 25th. Please email Marty West at mswest at ucdavis.edu if you’d like
to become a sponsor. Checks can be made payable to: “YCDCC Federal
Account.” You can mail checks to: P.O. Box 72685, Davis, CA, 95617.

YOLO UNITED DAVIS HQ TO HOLD GRAND OPENING ON SUNDAY
Yolo United will host a grand opening of its Davis headquarters in
conjunction with the Davis Democratic Club.

The headquarters are located behind Save Mart at 1801 Hanover Street,
Suite C. The grand opening will take place on Sunday, August 17th, from
3 p.m. to 6 p.m. The public is invited.

“Yolo United has numerous volunteer opportunities that can be tailored
to suit an individual's interests and time availability,” said Carl
Schmid, Yolo United Davis Headquarters Chair.

For more information, please contact Carl Schmid at 530-758-1975 or at
cwschmid at comcast.net. The headquarters’ phone number is 530-231-5746.

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR YOLO COUNTY FAIR VOTER REG DRIVE THIS WEEK
Yolo United needs volunteers to staff information/voter registration
booths at the Yolo County Fair. The booths will be organized by the Yolo
County Democratic Central Committee and the Davis Democratic Club.
Volunteers will be trained in voter registration techniques and protocol.

The fair will run from 6 p.m. on Wednesday, August 13th, to 10 p.m.
Sunday, August 17th. Volunteers can work two-hour or four-hour shifts
and may be teamed with a local Yolo County elected official or
celebrity. For more information, please contact Bob Schelen at
slobadbobs at aol.com.

PHONEBANKING TO BATTLEGROUND STATES AT YU DAVIS HQ
Phone banking to battle ground states will begin at the Yolo United
Davis Headquarters behind Save Mart (1801 Hanover St, Ste. C) on Monday,
August 18th, from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. Phone banking nights will be held
every Monday and Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. and every Saturday from
10 a.m. to 4 p.m. If you can bring, your cell phone and/or your laptop.
We will be using Skype technology to make most of the calls. Scripts and
training will be provided. For more information, contact Tom Cronin at
530-756-6405 or Martha Beetley at 530-756-4222.

NO ON PROP 8 HOLDS COMMUNITY MEETING
This November, California will vote on Proposition 8, which proposes to
amend our state Constitution to exclude same sex-couples from the
fundamental right of marriage. Many same-sex couples who have married
are our neighbors and we've been touched by how important the freedom to
marry is for their families and for our community. As local leaders and
concerned members of our community, we are asking for your help.

On August 19th and August 21st, we will have our kickoff meetings for
the Yolo County No on Prop 8 campaign where we will discuss ways to
defeat Proposition 8. The meeting locations are:

Tuesday, August 19th: Yolo United Woodland office, Hotel Woodland at 444
Main Street, 7 p,m. to 9 p.m.

Thursday August 21st: Yolo United Davis office, 1801 Hanover Street,
Suite C (behind Save Mart), 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

For more information, contact Natalie Wormeli at natandben at aol.com or at
530-756- 1900 or Shelly and Ellen at shelly at dcn.org or at 530-753-8283.

- No On Prop 8, Yolo - Natalie Wormeli (ACLU), Shelly Bailes/Ellen
Pontac (Marriage Equality USA, Equality CA, Equality for All), Melissa
Martinez, Paul and Merida Wilson (PFLAG) and Claire Black Slotton (Yolo
United)

DAVIS DEMOCRATIC CLUB HOLDS 15TH ANNUAL
EMILY AND JERRY'S ICE CREAM SOCIAL
This popular annual event will be held will be held starting at 6:00
p.m. on Thursday, August 21st. It is hosted by Jerry and Teresa Kaneko
(and their cat Emily) at their home on 556 Reed Drive in Davis. This
event features delicious ice cream flavors and frozen yogurt served with
your choice from a wonderful assortment of toppings. For entertainment,
all Yolo County elected officials, as well as any aspiring political
pundits in audience, are invited to address the group from a traditional
soapbox. Expected guests include: the Davis City Council membership,
Assembly member Lois Wolk, Yolo County Supervisors Jim Provenza, Helen
Thomson and Mariko Yamada, and School Board Trustee Sheila Allen. The
suggested donation is $15.

YOLO UNITED BBQ FUND RAISER
Yolo United will hold a BBQ fund raiser on Friday, August 22nd, at Odd
Fellows Hall in Davis located at 415 Second St. The Davis Firefighters
will be the grill masters. The tri-tip and chicken BBQ starts at 6:30
p.m. Music by Bill Scholer and Darkwater Blues Bands will start at 7
p.m. Tickets are $25 for adults, $10 for students and children 5 and
under are free. For more information, contact Bob Bockwinkel at
530-219-1896 or at bbockwinkel at golyon.com.

YOLO COUNTY FOR OBAMA TAKES ON NEVADA
There is a call out for Northern California Obama supporters to make a
weekend trip to the Reno, Nevada area on the weekend of August 22nd-24th
to be on the ground campaigning for Barack.

To learn more about participating in this exciting and important
activity, and to sign up to join those making the trip, please click on
the following link:

http://my.barackobama.com/page/event/detail/canvass/44vyk

MEASURE W CAMPAIGN CALL FOR SUPPORT
The Measure W campaign is asking for the Davis community’s support.
Measure W will preserve and maintain existing academic programs in
critical areas, such as science, math, English, music and foreign
language that were funded for one year through the community’s generous
donations to the Davis Schools Foundation and the Save Our Music!
campaigns.
Measure W will authorize a per-parcel tax in Davis of $120 a year --- at
$10 a month for three years to keep academic programs and protect the
jobs of teachers and librarians.
Measure W supporters are seeking contributions of $500, $100, $50 or
whatever fits your budget. Please write a check to “Yes for Our
Students.” Checks can be mailed to: Michael Peterson, Treasurer, YES for
Our Students, 510 4th St., Davis, CA, 95616 or feel free to call Measure
W campaign coordinator Kingsley Melton at 530-867-0641 and we will come
to your house and pick up your check.

DAVIS DEMOCRATIC CLUB/YOLO UNITED HOLDS FALL BBQ & OBAMA ACCEPTANCE
SPEECH PARTY ON AUGUST 28TH
Davis City Council Member Stephen Souza and his wife Robin will once
again open their home to the Davis Democratic Club for its annual Fall
Barbecue, which normally takes place in September. This year, the event
will be held on Thursday, August 28th, to watch Senator Obama accept the
Democratic Party’s nomination for president. The barbecue is from 6 p.m.
to 8 p.m. The Souza's home is at 2424 Rodin Place in Davis, which is
near Nugget Fields. The suggested donation is $25.

SAVE THE DATE FOR LOIS’ LUAU – SPONSORSHIPS AND TICKETS NOW AVAILABLE
Bring your friends and family and join Assemblymember Lois Wolk at the
6th Annual Lois' Luau featuring a special guest speaker. The event will
be held Friday, October 10th, so please save the date. Lois’ Luau will
be at the Dixon May Fair Grounds. The reception starts at 5:30 p.m. with
dinner at 6:00 p.m., and the evening’s program begins at 7:00 p.m.
Sponsorship and tickets are available now. Sponsorship levels are: Big
Kahuna - $3,600; Canoe Makers - $1,000; Ulana Weaves - $500; Hula
Dancers - $250. Individual tickets are $35. Please RSVP to 916-456-4098.
Make checks payable to: Wolk for Senate 2008, I.D. # 1293204. Checks can
be mailed to her office at: 1127 11th Street, Suite 505, Sacramento, CA,
95814. For information, contact Colleen Haley, Campaign Coordinator,
Wolk for Senate 2008 at colleen at loiswolk.com.