[Davis Democrats] FW: action opportunity- from Robert Redford--to stop Bush auctioning Redrock wilderness to fossil-fuel speculators

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Thu Dec 11 17:36:31 PST 2008

------ Forwarded Message
From: Pam Nieberg <pnieberg at dcn.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:47:24 -0800
To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
Subject: Fw: An important message from Robert Redford

  <http://www.nrdconline.org/ct/b7SvbOn1wPDa/>

     Help Stop the Giveaway of America¹s  Redrock Wilderness to the Oil and
Gas Industry!

<http://www.nrdconline.org/campaign/stop_wilderness_giveaway/we7wg76rv7tm3dm
x?>

<http://www.nrdconline.org/campaign/stop_wilderness_giveaway/we7wg76rv7tm3dm
x?>
 Join Robert Redford in  blocking the Bush Administration¹s midnight raid on
a  crown jewel of our natural heritage.

Send  your message of protest now
<http://www.nrdconline.org/campaign/stop_wilderness_giveaway/we7wg76rv7tm3dm
x?>  to call off the December  19 auction.

Dear Pamela,

No one voted on Election Day to hand over  Utah's Redrock wilderness to oil
companies.

But the Bush  Administration cynically chose that very day to advance an
outrageous plan  that will sell off leases for some 300,000 acres of
spectacular Utah  canyonlands to oil and gas speculators.

While America was  voting for Barack Obama and his vision of a clean energy
future, Bush and  Cheney's underlings were conspiring to plunder one of the
crown jewels of  our natural heritage for their fossil fuel cronies.

Please  register your own opposition right now.
<http://www.nrdconline.org/campaign/stop_wilderness_giveaway/we7wg76rv7tm3dm
x?>

The auction of  Redrock country will take place on December 19. At stake are
world-renowned vistas near Canyonlands and Arches National Parks, as well
as near Dinosaur National Monument. The highest bidders will earn the  right
to turn vast tracts of pristine wilderness into industrial  wastelands.

It's bad enough that Bush officials went behind the  backs of the American
people with this disastrous scheme. But  what's worse, they didn't even tell
their own National Park Service until  after the fact.

In my mind, this theft of our heritage  goes beyond the cynical -- it's
criminal. What will be left to give to our  children and their children if
we allow this administration, in a parting  shot, to destroy our legacy of
public lands for short-term gain?

I hope you're as angry as I am about this blatant land  grab, because we've
got to stop it -- and we have to act fast.  The NRDC Action Fund is
mobilizing more than one million Americans in an  outpouring of protest over
the coming days.

Send  your own message of opposition immediately.
<http://www.nrdconline.org/campaign/stop_wilderness_giveaway/we7wg76rv7tm3dm
x?>  Tell the Bush  Administration that you will not allow it to destroy one
of the most  beautiful places on Earth.

We'll automatically send copies of your  message to your two senators, your
representative and to  the Obama transition team, which has signaled their
opposition to this  disastrous attack on our Redrock heritage.

The Bush  Administration is racing to complete the auction of our lands
before  Inauguration Day, which will make sales difficult to reverse.

We must fend off this land grab now -- before the  oil and gas companies can
lay claim to the spoils.

Those  spoils include stretches of Desolation Canyon, which has been
proposed for  national park status. Bush's own Interior Department describes
the canyon as "a place where a visitor can experience true solitude --
where the forces of nature continue to shape the colorful, rugged
landscape."

The very idea of oil and gas operations invading these  remote sanctuaries
-- which have remained untouched for millennia -- is  deeply upsetting. Once
the dirty deed is done, our wilderness can never be  restored. That's why
I'm asking you to help us sound the alarm and  organize now.

Tell  the Bush Administration to cancel the Redrock auction.
<http://www.nrdconline.org/campaign/stop_wilderness_giveaway/we7wg76rv7tm3dm
x?>  Remind them  that we the people are the rightful owners of this
majestic wilderness and  that we won't stand for its destruction.

And thank you for joining  with me and the NRDC Action Fund to save these
beautiful wildlands for all  future generations.

Sincerely,

Robert Redford
NRDC Action Fund

P.S. After you send  your own message of protest,
<http://www.nrdconline.org/campaign/stop_wilderness_giveaway/we7wg76rv7tm3dm
x?>  I'll let you know of an easy way to  spread the word to your friends
and family. With only 10 days to mobilize  one million Americans, I'm
counting on you to rally everyone you  know to speak out and save this
precious wilderness from  destruction.

If you would prefer not to receive action alerts and updates, you can click
here to remove yourself from this list:
http://www.nrdconline.org/actionfund/remove-domain-direct.tcl?ctx=subscripti
on&nkey=we7wg76rv7tm3dmx&
<http://www.nrdconline.org/actionfund/remove-domain-direct.tcl?ctx=subscript
ion&nkey=we7wg76rv7tm3dmx&> .
(or you can reply to this email with the word "remove" in the subject line.)

To update your email or mailing address, or to view all your subscriptions,
click here:
http://www.nrdconline.org/actionfund/smp.tcl?nkey=we7wg76rv7tm3dmx&
<http://www.nrdconline.org/actionfund/smp.tcl?nkey=we7wg76rv7tm3dmx&> .

The NRDC Action Fund is the 501(c)(4) affiliate of the Natural Resources
Defense Council (NRDC).

 <http://>