[Davis Democrats] FW: Immunity for AT&T and Verizon is just days away.

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Wed Feb 13 11:08:21 PST 2008

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Michael Kieschnick, CREDO Action/Working Assets"
<actforchange at workingassets.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:42:21 GMT
To: John Chendo <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: Immunity for AT&T and Verizon is just days away.

 <http://act.credomobile.com/ct/3pwef-F1lPlb/>

"The Single Largest Invasion of Privacy in American History."
<http://act.credomobile.com/campaign/fisa_house/i3sk5buff8i8txk?>
Tell the House: Stand Up for the Rule of Law
<http://act.credomobile.com/campaign/fisa_house/i3sk5buff8i8txk?>
The House of Representatives still has a chance to stop retroactive immunity
in conference -- but only if House leadership stands tall for their version
of wiretapping reform legislation.

 <http://act.credomobile.com/campaign/fisa_house/i3sk5buff8i8txk?>

Dear John,

Yesterday the Senate rejected the amendment offered by Senators Dodd and
Feingold to strip retroactive immunity from the Intelligence Committee's
wiretapping reform bill. It went on to pass the Intelligence Committee's
bill by a wide margin.

As a progressive organization that lives inside of a very good mobile phone
company this fight was personal. We know that a telecom company should
never, ever help the White House wiretap Americans without a warrant. And AT
and Verizon should know that, too.

Together we've fought long and hard against retroactive immunity for the
telecom companies that helped Bush spy illegally on Americans. Hundreds of
thousands of citizens like you stood up and told their Senators that we
expect them to defend the rule of law. Sadly, it seemed that the deck was
always stacked against us in the Senate.

But the fight isn't over yet.
<http://act.credomobile.com/campaign/fisa_house/i3sk5buff8i8txk?>

Last fall, the House passed the RESTORE Act, a FISA reform bill that
included solid oversight of domestic surveillance and did not contain
retroactive immunity.

Now, because the House bill is so different from the legislation that the
Senate just passed, there will be a conference between leaders of the House
and the Senate to decide what legislation both bodies will put forward for
the President to sign.

We need Speaker Nancy Pelosi and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer to stand
tall and ensure that the conference committee reports legislation that
doesn't include retroactive immunity.

Take action and tell Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Hoyer to stand up
for the rule of law.
<http://act.credomobile.com/campaign/fisa_house/i3sk5buff8i8txk?>

During this fight we saw what can happen when hundreds of thousands of
Americans come together to work with Senators like Chris Dodd and Russ
Feingold, advocacy organizations, liberal bloggers, and, yes, a phone
company that wants to ensure that the laws governing privacy and civil
liberties are always followed.

Three out of the four committees in Congress that have worked on this FISA
legislation have rejected retroactive immunity. Please join in one last time
and ask the House leadership to stand by their good work and report a bill
that doesn't include retroactive immunity.

Click here to tell the House leadership -- stand firm, no retroactive
immunity for lawbreakers.
<http://act.credomobile.com/campaign/fisa_house/i3sk5buff8i8txk?>

Thank you for being an inspiration to me throughout this fight.

Michael Kieschnick, Co-Founder
CREDO Mobile <http://act.credomobile.com/ct/e1wef-F1lPl6/>  / Working Assets
<http://act.credomobile.com/ct/edwef-F1lPlO/>

P.S.: If you are supporting AT and Verizon and want to consider stopping,
then check this out <http://act.credomobile.com/ct/e1wef-F1lPl6/> .

 <http://act.credomobile.com/ct/e1wef-F1lPl6/>
© 2008 CREDO. All rights reserved.

Get action alerts on your mobile phone! Click here
<http://act.credomobile.com/campaign/mobile_action/i3sk5buff8i8txk?>  to
join CREDO Mobile Action; we'll text you on important issues when your voice
is urgently needed in Congress.

The best way to share this action alert with your friends, neighbors and
colleagues is to click here
<http://act.credomobile.com/campaign/fisa_house/forward/i3sk5buff8i8txk?> .
(This copy of our newsletter contains links personalized with your specific
information, which your friends may see if you forward this message.)
Thanks!

Is this e-mail going to your junk/bulk folder? Please add
act at credoaction.com to your address book to ensure that you receive all
future communications in your in-box.

To view our Privacy Policy, please click here
<http://www.credomobile.com/index.cfm?event=showSecurityAndPrivacy> .

This message was sent to jac07 at dcn.org. To stop receiving CREDO Action
e-mails, please click here to unsubscribe
<http://act.credomobile.com/actnow/remove-domain-direct.tcl?ctx=subscription
&nkey=i3sk5buff8i8txk&> .

If you have any comments or questions, please e-mail info at credoaction.com.
Or write to us at: 101 Market Street, Suite 700, San Francisco, CA, 94105.