[Davis Democrats] FW: McCain just said WHAT? Really???

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Sun Jun 15 00:04:16 PDT 2008

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Kathryn Kolbert, People For the American Way" <alerts at pfaw.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:06:32 -0700
To: John Chendo <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: McCain just said WHAT? Really???

 Forward this e-mail
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=jtIWIaPSJgKMIcI&s=jfIQLTPqHeLNIUOHE&m=9dJAL
OMnHcIWG>  | Subscribe to Alerts
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=eeJMIVNyFbJHJ2K&s=jfIQLTPqHeLNIUOHE&m=9dJAL
OMnHcIWG>
 PEOPLE FOR THE AMERICAN WAY   June 13, 2008

<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=hhKSI4OKLeIOKcJ&s=jfIQLTPqHeLNIUOHE&m=9dJAL
OMnHcIWG>

  Dear John,

 I know I already e-mailed you once today with my weekly note, but I HAD TO
share with you what McCain just said about yesterday's Supreme Court
decision upholding the constitutional right of habeas corpus.

 Here's McCain, in his own words, proving exactly how out of touch he really
is:

>  "The United States Supreme Court yesterday rendered a decision which I think
> is one of the worst decisions in the history of this country." *

 What???

 Yesterday's powerful decision by the Court (a decision Americans should be
proud of) affirmed a fundamental constitutional right -- in this case, the
right of a detainee to challenge the government's grounds for confining him.
What does McCain think is so bad about that?

 Does he think protecting the right to be heard in court is...

* ...worse than locking thousands of Americans in internment camps because
they had Japanese ancestry? (Korematsu v. United States  -- 1944)
*
* ...worse than forcing African Americans to sit at the back of the bus?
(Plessy v. Ferguson -- 1896)
*
* ...worse than slavery? (Dred Scott v. Sanford -- 1857)
 Really, Senator McCain?

 I'd love to hear from you about what other Supreme Court decisions you
think McCain should study before the next time he opens his mouth to pander
to the Far Right on the Court. E-mail your suggestions to pfaw at pfaw.org
<mailto:pfaw at pfaw.org?subject=Worse%20Than%20Giving%20Prisoners%20Rights%20>
. All the best,

  Kathryn Kolbert, President

 * National Journal/NBC, 6/13

 This message was sent to: jac07 at dcn.org

 Manage your People For profile and e-mail subscriptions at:
 http://www.pfaw.org/go/my_profile
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=kuIYJdPWKhLVImI&s=jfIQLTPqHeLNIUOHE&m=9dJAL
OMnHcIWG>

 To ensure that People For e-mails are not diverted to your spam or bulk
folders,
 please add alerts at pfaw.org to your address book and/or "safe list." Links
may show up as "kintera" in the address bar. This is normal and those Web
 pages are owned and operated by PFAW.

 Please DO NOT reply to this e-mail. Replies will not be read.
 To contact us online, please use the web form at:
 http://www.pfaw.org/go/contact_us/
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=dnJKKSNuEaKIK2L&s=jfIQLTPqHeLNIUOHE&m=9dJAL
OMnHcIWG>
  PEOPLE FOR THE AMERICAN WAY 2008