[Davis Democrats] Take a stand on civil liberties

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Sun Jun 15 00:06:52 PDT 2008

------ Forwarded Message
From: "David Plouffe, BarackObama.com" <democraticparty at democrats.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:14:52 -0400
To: john chendo <jac07 at dcn.davis.ca.us>
Subject: Take a stand on civil liberties

  Dear john,   The Supreme Court made a landmark ruling about civil
liberties yesterday -- and you should know what it means for this election.
In a five-to-four decision, the Court determined that suspects being held at
the Guantanamo Bay naval base have the right to appeal their detention in
federal court.   This is a major victory for everyone who cares about civil
liberties, human rights, and America's standing in the world.  Barack's
praise for this ruling demonstrates his respect for our civil liberties and
shows his commitment to keeping us safe while restoring the rights that have
been stripped away by George W. Bush.  But the only way to restore and
protect these rights is by defeating John McCain and bringing meaningful
change to Washington.  That won't happen without your help.Take a stand now
and grow our movement -- reach out to your friends and family who share your
concerns about civil liberties.  Ask them to join you in showing their
support for the Supreme Court's decision and for this campaign:
http://my.barackobama.com/protectourvalues
<http://www.democrats.org/page/m/672d04a792b24177/E4jKGw/VEsH/> John McCain
and George W. Bush had a very different take on yesterday's decision.   "I
strongly agree with [the justices] who dissented," said Bush. McCain struck
a similar note, saying, "The decision obviously concerns me."   This episode
is another reminder that John McCain is fighting to continue George Bush's
policies for a third term.  John McCain has shown his willingness to
compromise basic rights that are at the core of American justice and the
rule of law.  He seems willing to turn a blind eye to the suspension of
habeus corpus and the mistreatment of prisoners that have destroyed our
country's reputation in the world.  Barack Obama will fight terrorism
aggressively and keep every American safe -- while preserving our sacred
civil liberties.   Invite your friends to stand with you on this important
issue:  http://my.barackobama.com/protectourvalues
<http://www.democrats.org/page/m/672d04a792b24177/E4jKGw/VEsE/>   Thank you
for working for real change,
 David  David Plouffe
 Campaign Manager
 Obama for America

 Paid for and authorized by the Democratic National Committee,
www.democrats.org
<http://www.democrats.org/page/m/672d04a792b24177/hDIdLw/VEsF/> .
 This communication is not authorized by any candidate or candidate's
committee.

 Democratic National Committee, 430 S. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC 20003

Contributions or gifts to the Democratic National Committee are not
deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.

Click here to unsubscribe from this mailing list.
<http://www.democrats.org/page/m/672d04a792b24177/FgM64y/VEsC/>