[Davis Democrats] Senator Patrick Leahy(D-VT):: I oppose the new FISA bill

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Thu Jun 19 17:58:15 PDT 2008

------ Forwarded Message
From: Patrick Leahy <info at leahyforvermont.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 19:30:29 GMT
To: <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: I oppose the new FISA bill

   <http://www.leahyforvermont.com>

   For many months now, the Leahy for Vermont community and online activists
everywhere have urged Congress to fix FISA the right way:  by passing a bill
that protects both our national security and our civil liberties.  Together,
we have had a huge impact on this debate, calling for legislation that
protects Americans from the Bush-Cheney Administration's relentless assault
on the Constitution, and we should be extremely proud of these efforts. But
after months of negotiations, the House today unveiled a new FISA bill that
I cannot support. While I applaud the fact that this legislation includes
some of the important surveillance protections we wrote into the Senate
Judiciary Committee bill last year, it fails to hold the Bush-Cheney
Administration accountable for its illegal wiretapping program.  I will
oppose this new FISA bill when the Senate votes on it next week. We must do
everything we can to protect Americans from the Bush-Cheney Administration's
erosion of our civil liberties and callous disregard for the rule of law --
and this new FISA bill fails that test.  Thank you for all that you have
done -- and all you will continue to do -- to help America protect our
security while honoring our core values and respecting our fundamental
rights.  As the Supreme Court wrote in its habeas decision last week,
"Security subsists, too, in fidelity to freedom's first principles."
Sincerely,

Patrick Leahy
U.S. Senator
Visit LeahyForVermont.com <http://www.leahyforvermont.com/>
<https://secure.ga3.org/03/LFV_contribute/nY7x8CjFqmtpd?source=oppose_fisa>
Paid for by Leahy for U.S. Senator Committee, Inc.
PO Box 1042
Montpelier, VT 05601

  Invite your friends  family to join Leahy for Vermont today!
  Tell-a-friend!
<http://ga3.org/join-forward.html?domain=leahyforvermont&r=Y7x8CjFqmtpd>

  If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for Leahy for
Senate <http://ga3.org/leahyforvermont/join.html?r=Y7x8CjFqmtpdE> .