[Davis Democrats] FW: Obama- Declaring our independence

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Fri Jun 20 13:51:15 PDT 2008

------ Forwarded Message
From: Barack Obama <info at barackobama.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:29:41 -0400
To: John Chendo <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: Declaring our independence

John --   <http://my.barackobama.com/page/m/7d4b360e00ebb7cb/oKyV50/VEsH/>
Since we announced our decision not to accept taxpayer funds for the general
election, tens of thousands of people like you have come forward to declare
their independence from a broken system.  This decision frees us to build a
movement of millions of people giving whatever they can afford to a campaign
that is truly reforming the way our political process works.  It also frees
us to take our campaign for change to parts of the country where Democratic
presidential candidates haven't spent too much time in the past.  Our first
television ad of the general election season goes on the air today.  Sure,
we're on the air in places like Ohio and Florida, the typical battleground
states.  But we're also on the air in North Dakota, Montana, and Alaska --
places that have emerged as competitive because of the unprecedented
grassroots energy supporting our campaign.  These ads are supporting a
50-state ground operation that is being built right now by staff,
volunteers, and thousands of Obama Organizing Fellows.   But we have our
work cut out for us, and we need to grow this movement. Right now, you can
inspire a new supporter to declare their independence and help us run a
campaign that is funded by the people and for the people.  By pledging to
match a fellow supporter's first donation, you'll double your impact and add
another voice to our movement for change.  You can even choose to exchange a
note with them and share why you are supporting this campaign.  Make a
matching donation to bring in a new supporter today:
https://donate.barackobama.com/promise
<http://my.barackobama.com/page/m/7d4b360e00ebb7cb/oKyV50/VEsE/>    Choosing
not to accept these taxpayer funds was not an easy decision.  I remain
committed to fundamental campaign finance reform, and as president I will
work to fix this broken system.  But we're facing opponents who have become
masters at gaming the broken system as it stands today -- collecting money
from Washington lobbyists, special interest PACs, and relying on so-called
527 groups that can take unlimited contributions to peddle lies and smears.
We have chosen to do things differently.  You can see for yourself what kind
of people own our campaign -- each of these folks have made a donation in
the last 24 hours:
>  Sandra from Tennessee:  "I'm on disability and can't afford to give much but
> I figure the $10 is worth it.  This is the first time in a long time that even
> the ones who can't afford it are giving, and are excited about a candidate and
> excited about the process."  Monica from South Carolina:  "The way that this
> primary and now this general election campaign have been funded truly gives
> the power to the citizens that are voting.  This administration will owe the
> American people, not lobbyists and special interests groups."  Mauve from
> Iowa:  "THIS is true public financing. Getting average Americans from all
> backgrounds and tax brackets to care enough and to believe enough and to hope
> enough to give what they can."  Tim from Texas:  "Today, for the first time in
> my life, I contributed to a political campaign.  I did so because I have
> always believed that true power rests with the people, if only those people
> could be organized. We have the power to take back our country from the
> special interest groups.  There are more of us and when we act together, we
> are the force that can dictate the direction our country will take."
  Join Sandra, Monica, Mauve, and Tim in declaring your independence.  Make
a matching donation today:  https://donate.barackobama.com/promise
<http://my.barackobama.com/page/m/7d4b360e00ebb7cb/oKyV50/VEsF/>   Our
fellow Americans are counting on us, and the stakes couldn't be higher -- we
can't afford another term of George Bush's disastrous policies.  We have a
responsibility to win this election and deliver for them.  But with
Washington lobbyists and special interest PACs declaring that they will
spend hundreds of millions to tear us down, it's up to us to stand up for
the change we need.  More than 50,000 people declared their independence
since our announcement. Support our campaign for change and declare your
independence today to help reach our new July 4th goal of 75,000 donors.
https://donate.barackobama.com/promise
<http://my.barackobama.com/page/m/7d4b360e00ebb7cb/oKyV50/VEsC/>   Thank you
for everything,  Barack
<http://my.barackobama.com/page/m/7d4b360e00ebb7cb/oKyV50/VEsD/>