[Davis Democrats] FW: John, Veto the FCC's Big Media Handout

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Wed Mar 5 11:57:33 PST 2008

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Alexandra Russell, FreePress.net" <list at freepress.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 11:51:20 -0600 (CST)
To: <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: John, Veto the FCC's Big Media Handout

 <http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=Bq7_6bBKmtUI8J3pf1m5mw..>

  Dear John,
 <http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=iz3iaMuZTSUlGw_ubp1dYg..>  Congress can
overturn the FCC's bad rules to further consolidate local media. Take Action
Now <http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=5RAl9qhRzUkxs6qWUNs9lg..>
Now's your best chance to stop media consolidation in California.

The Senate introduced legislation this morning that would reverse the
Federal Communications Commission¹s decision to let the nation's largest
media companies swallow up more local and independent news outlets.

Congress has just 60 legislative days to pass this bill. By acting now, you
can help make it happen:
Veto the FCC's Big Media Handout
<http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=_2o1GUjYYj5NX5KjwYGX1A..>
We have Big Media to blame for local news that's steeped in celebrity
gossip, corporate hype and sensationalism. If the FCC gets its way, you'll
see your local news get even worse.

The FCC's decision further consolidates local media markets, taking away the
independence and diversity that comes from local ownership. Simply put, this
is a sweetheart deal for a handful of companies that have been breaking
media ownership rules for years with impunity.

In December, 200,000 people called on their senators to take action against
the FCC. The Senate has responded with a ³resolution of disapproval,² a type
of congressional veto that would throw out the new rules. Now we need to get
another 50,000 citizens on the record supporting the Senate¹s action.
Tell Your Friends: Veto Big Media
<http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=ax2OfoQkfkJiGrznm-xywg..>
Companies like News Corp. and Sinclair already have shown their willingness
to abuse the public trust for political ends. During this election year,
when diverse, quality and unbiased information is essential for voters, we
cannot allow Big Media to silence even more independent voices.

It¹s our turn to use our collective grassroots power to stop Big Media and
make sure that our airwaves are used to better serve the public.

Onward,

Alexandra Russell
Program Director
Free Press
http://www.freepress.net/
<http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=EnLNu8U0CJgbK0pyfO6BAA..>
http://www.stopbigmedia.com/
<http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=zneHAuRX42CCXONNo1wMbQ..>

P.S. Learn more about this important legislation at:
http://www.stopbigmedia.com/blog
<http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=xcUU2HTEXddR18V773FvXg..>

Take action on this important campaign at:
http://free.convio.net/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&id=243
<http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=vdr4AznEyUMb4LXTuRByBQ..>

 Tell your friends about this campaign at:
http://free.convio.net/site/Ecard?ecard_id=1109
<http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=NxPQakK8y6-NWpE-dc7cqQ..>

You (jac07 at dcn.org) are receiving this email as an opt-in subscriber to Free
Press' E-activist Network. You can unsubscribe
<http://free.convio.net/site/CO?i=NcbPMHbHMC4apwFET-TEDDOJ5k9WfQ2m&cid=1221>
or manage your account
<http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=3EfejkhLZmUIJOmoQdyO5w..>  at any time.

 <http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=axENBGKLm_hWSJ7B0jf44g..> Free Press is a
national, nonpartisan organization working to reform the media. Through
education, organizing and advocacy, we promote diverse and independent media
ownership, strong public media, and universal access to communications.
Learn more at www.freepress.net
<http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=o_68lyIX3UrvOsExE4Udrw..>
 <http://free.convio.net/site/R?i=c9tsR4lJwYqGU-glFaLlPA..>