[Davis Democrats] Updates from Senate races nation-wide favoring Dems

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Sat Oct 4 12:07:27 PDT 2008

------ Forwarded Message
From: "J.B. Poersch" <info at dscc.org>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 11:30:19 -0400 (EDT)
To: <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: Yowza

<http://www.democratsenators.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=plWPMyc0qpPKI53H1QFTTfB
FkLVVsrde>

<http://www.democratsenators.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2BqIHPTJWCPT86lRrOv9eq
PBFkLVVsrde>

We're on the verge of breaking things open.  Our chances have never looked
better to elect that filibuster-proof Senate majority to help Barack Obama
put this country back on the right course.

 All the polls are breaking our way. As I write this, Democratic candidates
are leading in no fewer than six races for current Republican seats.  And
we're seeing a marked trend of our trailing candidates closing the gap in
key battleground states.

 Things are looking so strong that the DC-insider newspaper Roll Call
recently published the headline "New Senate Polls Show GOP Slipping."  The
nonpartisan Rothenberg Political Report just upgraded its ranking of four of
our races.  For the first time, they now favor our candidates in Oregon and
Colorado.

 Our proven campaign strategy is working.  In the last 10 days, the DSCC has
spent more than $9 million of your money in eight states to air TV ads that
expose third-party lies and hold Republicans accountable for eight years of
failure and incompetence.

 We have already made more than 2.4 million direct voter contacts in the
contested states.  That's not even half of what we'll do before Election
Day.

 We owe our success to dedicated grassroots supporters like you.  We're
going to spend more and fight harder in these last 30 days than ever
before.  We know what it takes to win, but we need your support to execute.

 Click here to rush $50, $75, or more to the DSCC immediately.  There are
only 30 days to Election Day, and we're running out of time to rebuke
right-wing lies and smears.
<http://www.democratsenators.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=4QX8iYqFs%2BKGrIlkp1d62
vBFkLVVsrde>

 These last 30 days are not the time to grow complacent.  This is the time
to press our advantage, campaign harder, and go for the big, sweeping
victories.  As long as we can count on your support, that's exactly what
we're going to do.

 Keep reading for the latest updates from Senate races nationwide.  You'll
see all the ways we're pressing our advantage.

 Sincerely,

 J.B. Poersch

 Kentucky: McConnell Race Tied

 First up is the game-changing result from the latest polling data from
Kentucky.  The Louisville Courier-Journal Bluegrass Poll shows Democrat
Bruce Lunsford locked in an absolute dead heat with Republican minority
leader and filibusterer-in-chief Mitch McConnell.

 From the Courier-Journal:

> "The poll found that each candidate would get the support of 41 percent of
> likely voters if the election were held today."

Winning in Kentucky could be the final component of building a
filibuster-proof majority, and any time a powerful incumbent like McConnell
is polling under 50% - way under in this case - we have a terrific
opportunity to win.

 This is one of the states where the DSCC's big advantage in campaign
resources can make a real difference.  You helped us build our advantage,
and in over these final five weeks, it will pay off.  This poll is just the
start of a great October.

 North Carolina: Looking Bleak for Elizabeth Dole

 Things are looking bleak for Republican incumbent Elizabeth Dole.  After
all, voters typically want to elect somebody who actually lives in their
state.

 News broke this week that North Carolina was typically nothing more than an
overnight stopover for Dole before she started running for reelection.  In
2004, she spent just 34 days in the state.  In 2005, the number was down to
20.  And in 2006, Dole spent only 13 days - less than two full weeks - in
North Carolina.

 But you don't have to take our word for it.  We went to Salisbury, NC to
talk to Dole's neighbors in her so-called hometown.

 Click here to watch the video we made in North Carolina.  Salisbury
residents sure don't think Dole is part of their community.
<http://www.democratsenators.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=aUtolJri2k1LeKtJ2tlsJ%2
FBFkLVVsrde>

 Of course Dole has increased her travel to North Carolina during campaign
season.  But that hasn't stopped challenger Kay Hagan from riding her
momentum to a small, but sustained, lead in the latest round of polling.

 And the venerable handicappers at the Cook Political Report have even
upgraded this race from "Leans Republican" to true "Toss-up" status for the
first time this cycle.

 The DSCC has been airing memorable ads in this race for weeks that
highlight her ranking as the 93rd most effective senator and one who votes
with George Bush 92% of the time.  You can be certain that we're going to
give Kay Hagan all the support she needs to win on Election Day.

 Oregon:  Social Security Meltdown

 The financial crisis is hitting just about everyone hard.  But think about
how bad it would be if your Social Security savings were melting down along
with the rest of Wall Street.

 Shockingly, that's exactly the kind of privatization Oregon incumbent Sen.
Gordon Smith and George Bush endorse.  That's obviously a huge indictment of
the failed Republican economic policy that got us into this mess.

 And because of two new DSCC ads that our grassroots helped pay for, we're
making sure Oregon voters know all about Smith's plan to privatize Social
Security.

 Click here to watch the DSCC's new ad in Oregon.  We're holding Republican
incumbent Gordon Smith accountable for supporting Social Security
privatization.
<http://www.democratsenators.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=WrGsn7Hbh1XNfwQp02Vz6vB
FkLVVsrde>

 The whole point of Social Security is to provide security to America's
seniors.  Gordon Smith seems to have forgotten that, and that's exactly why
the DSCC is doing everything in our power to help Democrat Jeff Merkley
defeat him in November.

 Alaska: Ted Stevens' Terrible Week

 Ted Stevens must realize he's going to have a hard time getting
re-elected.  Jurors were recently selected for his criminal trial on
corruption charges, but that's not all he has to worry about.

 The DSCC is now hammering him in a new TV ad for funneling $500 million in
government contract money to an aerospace firm that employed Stevens'
brother-in-law.

 Click here to watch the DSCC's new ad in Alaska.  Stevens' efforts to
secure pork for a family connection prove that his service isn't about
Alaska anymore.
<http://www.democratsenators.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=2FrfEavL%2FibFeBIweUEG%
2BvBFkLVVsrde>

 And remember, this latest scandal isn't even the one he's on trial for.

 Democrat Mark Begich is leading Stevens in all the latest polls, and you
can be certain that the DSCC is ready to keep him there right through
Election Day.

 Mississippi: Real Simple

 The race in Mississippi is real simple.  Do voters there want a leader like
Democratic Governor Ronnie Musgrove who fought to increase teacher pay?  Or
do they want Republican incumbent Roger Wicker, a typical politician who
voted against increasing veteran's benefits but votes nine times in favor of
increasing his own salary?

 We think the choice is clear.  That's why the DSCC began airing two new
television ads exposing Roger Wicker's history of looking out for himself in
Washington instead of standing up for the people of Mississippi.

 Click here to watch the DSCC's new ads in Mississippi.  We want voters to
know Roger Wicker voted to increase his pay nine times, instead of fighting
for them.
<http://www.democratsenators.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=F5IzvkJdHRQ3FLjjpdOUivB
FkLVVsrde>

 Anyone who votes nine times for a pay raise while ignoring the needs of
veterans and teachers deserves a pink slip.  With your help, the DSCC and
Ronnie Musgrove are going to give just that to Roger Wicker.

 Third Party Spending

 We always say that the DSCC's job is to fight back against the smears and
distortions leveled against Democratic Senate candidates by right-wing
attack organizations.

 Last week, Roll Call gave us all a stark reminder of what we're up
against.  "All told," the insider's newspaper reported, "conservative groups
have poured almost $23 million into Senate contests so far this cycle."

 Shadowy organizations with Orwellian names like the "American Future Fund"
and the "Employee Freedom Action Committee" are attacking Democrats in every
single one of our contested battleground states.  They're stretching the
truth and lying about our candidates' records.

 It's despicable, but unless we respond, it can work.  That's why the DSCC
needs your help so our candidates can fight back.

 Click here to rush $50, $75, or more to the DSCC immediately.  There are
only 30 days to Election Day, and we're running out of time to rebuke the
lies and the smears.
<http://www.democratsenators.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=VzkjFIZNjdzn4wnDzCVzslb
Aspr3LP8Q>

<http://www.democratsenators.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=paAofZd3KZ8GEajkCkpLJfB
FkLVVsrde>

 We're running out of time to rebuke the lies and smears.  Please support
the DSCC today.

 If you received this message from a friend, click this button to join the
DSCC.

<http://www.democratsenators.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=u4gwBb5C8dxgVKkngRmfAfB
FkLVVsrde>

<http://www.democratsenators.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=fG8kZG4%2Bby3KI53H1QFTT
fBFkLVVsrde>

Paid for by the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, http://dscc.org,
and not authorized by any candidate or candidate's committee.