[Davis Democrats] Before the Debate: Reach People Who Don't Know the Real McCain

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Sun Oct 5 11:20:29 PDT 2008

------ Forwarded Message

Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 13:36:06 -0400 (EDT)
To: <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: Before the Next Debate: Reach People Who Don't Know the Real McCain

Dear John,

I was in a deep conversation with some Brave New Films supporters recently.
They were enthusiastic about the value of our videos in spreading the truth
and motivating support, but they kept asking, "How do you reach people who
don't agree with you?"  Seems like a good time to explain why we ask you to
forward the videos, Digg them, and encourage people to get their own free
Brave New Films video subscription
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2FO3jhO6pzbV%2B8Kwk
WBXOzc5mvNwXwK1B> .  Before the next debate, it is critical to get this
information to as many people as possible.

Every day, our 20 videos on John McCain are seen by several hundred thousand
people searching and browsing the Internet for information on McCain.  They
are literally typing in "john mccain" into Google, where our video is the #4
result.  The same search on YouTube yields several more videos from The Real
McCain series, which will only increase in the coming weeks.  So far, these
videos have received over 11 million views.

Think about it, if you didn't know much about John McCain, what would you
do?  Probably two things.  Type "john mccain" into Google, and ask your
friends what they think.

That's where YOU come in.  When you get an e-mail from us with our latest
video, what happens in the next 24 hours determines how far the video will
reach outside the audience who would typically watch it. The more views on
the video, the higher it goes on YouTube's most viewed pages, seen by 60
million people a month.  The more people who Digg it--a critical tool to
reach those outside the choir--the better chance we have of getting on the
Digg homepage, which is seen by 20 million people a month.

Every time we get on these top pages, we get tens of thousands of additional
views from people who might otherwise have watched a cat playing the piano,
a magic ping pong ball, or a pretty woman falling in the shower.  We
estimate that getting on the Digg homepage generates an additional
30,000-50,000 viewers.  The YouTube most viewed page alone can add another
100,000 views!

Anything you do that increases the number of views helps.  Posting on your
blog, on Facebook, on MySpace, sending emails, leaving comments on other
sites, and Digging it. The important thing to understand is it's not just
the people who view it that we reach, it's the ripple effect those views
have, pushing our videos higher up Google, YouTube, Digg, and all over the
Internet.  And that ripple effect extends months and even years down the
road.

That #4 result on Google is a video we put out in February of 2007!  70,000
people watched it last week.  Yes, it would be easier to spend millions of
dollars on TV ads, but that is not what we do.  Think about the difference
in watching a video that has been sent to you by someone you know, versus
skipping through a TV ad.  What a difference in impact!

And when you get your friends to subscribe to the free Brave New Films video
subscription
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=9NsMiCrDvg0iK%2FqcCL
9MjJ5YpJ9dnVoS> , they become true force multipliers by sending to people
who agree, who watch, who motivate, who send to others, and help us reach
many people who don't agree with us.

So, help us get the word out about McCain now before the next debate.  Below
are four videos that explain McCain's stances on four crucial issues: the
environment, the economy, tax cuts, and abortion.  Let's get that ripple
effect going now by spreading these to everyone you know and getting them on
blogs and sites like Digg.

 <http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=kCJF8LF7AvJjOZjPoz2
FBJ5YpJ9dnVoS>
1. McCain's Green Economy: Drill, Baby, Drill:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ecA2L-VuQ
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ztg5ETc4H4LMAkJiU%2B
FKTp5YpJ9dnVoS>

 <http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2BOf7rbXWDdtqpBiaU
%2BmtoJ5YpJ9dnVoS>
2. John McCain: Economic Disaster:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4egXbhSOhk
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=AR1GM635W9FFO7cCeQHC
p55YpJ9dnVoS>

 <http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=GZaIyhiT9JJU5eFvgY%
2FKrZ5YpJ9dnVoS>
3. Why the Rich Love McCain's Tax Plan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwtayJCK5LY
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=UnS8VZkd6qCXtOkg23eC
cZ5YpJ9dnVoS>

 <http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=OyFpxtLdCb7K9tLo4OS
sLp5YpJ9dnVoS>
4. The REAL McCain is anti-choice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAAYxCCT-Bg
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=MZdXQcdjcXK%2BbLMfX2
7XEZ5YpJ9dnVoS>

Help increase the number who know the facts, and reach those who don't.  Now
is the time!

Yours, Robert Greenwald and the Brave New team

 <http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=kvh%2FVG95ZK50fyJIQ
L%2BRIZ5YpJ9dnVoS>

------ .   We are located at 10510 Culver Blvd., Culver City, CA 90232 and
info at bravenewfilms.org.