[Davis Democrats] DDC General Meeting/Potluck in 10 Days

G Richard Yamagata PhD yamagata at virtual-markets.net
Mon Oct 6 18:00:54 PDT 2008

Greetings Davis Democratic Club Members,

  Our potluck dinner and General Members speaker program meeting will be
held on October 16, 2008 from 6:00pm to 8:30 pm in the Blanchard Room at the
Davis Public Library on 14th street.  See bottom for Potluck Details.

Dinner will be at 6:00 and the talk will begin at 7:00 with:
  Professor Mark Siegler
  Chair Department of Economics
  Cal State Sacramento

  who will speak on:

  Financial Crises: Why is it happening and what can or should we do?

        We are facing the worst financial crisis in generations.

        Our nation's economic future is threatened, as are our savings and
pensions.  We are now paying the price of decades of 'deregulation'.   It
appears that today Wall Street and her representatives in the Bush
Administration are trying to stampede Congress into bailing out the Wall
Street banksters (to revive a term FDR used 75 years ago).  By our October
16th meeting, it is likely that the situation will have changed drastically,
but the one thing that will not have changed is that very few of us
understand why and what is happening.  We must educate ourselves.  Mark
Siegler is an award winning teacher who has a demonstrated ability to
explain complex issues to the lay public who are interested in learning.
Maybe he does not have the answers, but he will definitely help us
understand the possibilities and pitfalls of government intervention in the
financial markets.  More importantly he can help us, as Democrats, to
advocate sensibly on behalf of America's workers and middle classes.

        Last January our subject was also the economy, which stubbornly
remains in the headlines.  Then our speaker was Professor Wang from the Cal
State Sacramento Economics Department,  who gave an in depth picture of what
was causing the collapsing real estate market and the likely political
ramifications of the collapse.  After a 40 minute presentation, a full hour
was taken with questions and general discussion.  All who participated were
grateful for the stimulating evening. The upcoming talk should be as
stimulating as well.

At a glance: