[Davis Democrats] Everything you need to know from Yolo United (10/22 issue)

Yolo United yolounited at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 15:09:30 PDT 2008

Everything you need to know from Yolo United (10/22 issue)
13 Days to Go! Don’t Wait to Make a Difference – Volunteer!

If not you, who? If not now, when?

www.yolounited.com

Headquarters contact info:
Davis – 1801 Hanover Dr. (behind Save Mart), 530-231-5746
Woodland – 444 Main St., 530-661-0118

The events covered in this newsletter are:

• Walk for Lois in Stockton This Sunday – 10/26
• Get Out the Vote – 11/1 – 11/4
• Urgent Need for Precinct Walkers
• Send Students to Colorado to Swing this State
• Early Voting at UCD MU – 10/27-10/31
• No on 8 Phone Banking – Tues. and Sun.
• No on 4 Phone Banking – Thursdays; Special Event 10/23
• Phone banking to Battleground States on Mon., Wed., Sat. and now Sun.!
• Obama Out-of-State Travel
• Absentee Voter Deadlines
• Woodland Campaign Activities
• Lois Wolk Endorsements
• Woodland Obama Infomercial Watching Party – 10/29

THE URGENT COLUMN

WALK FOR LOIS IN STOCKTON THIS SUNDAY – 10/26
Davisites will walk for Lois Wolk in Stockton this weekend on Sunday,
October 26th. Carpools will meet at the Yolo United Davis HQ at 9:30
a.m. Contact Martha Beetley at 530-756-4222 or at
tomandmartha912 at gmail.com for more information.

GET OUT THE VOTE EFFORT NEEDS VOLUNTEERS
Please don’t assume Obama has this election in the bag. Complacency is
our enemy!

Will you volunteer to help get out the vote either locally or nationally
from November 1st through November 4th? We need volunteers to drop
literature throughout the county, check polls on Election Day, make
calls to voters to encourage them to vote, and call swing states to
ensure an Obama victory. If you can help on any - or all - of those
days, please e-mail Keltie Jones at keltiej at aol.com and let her know
when you are available and what you are interested in doing. With
everyone's help, we will ensure that we have reason to celebrate on
November 4th!

URGENT NEED FOR PRECINCT WALKERS
Yolo United is in great need of precinct walkers for West Sacramento,
Woodland, and even Davis. For this and other great volunteer
opportunities, please call the Davis headquarters and ask for Louise
Hendrickson at 530-231-5746.

CAMPAIGN NEWS & ACTIVITIES:

SEND A UC DAVIS STUDENT TO COLORADO FOR ELECTION DAY!
Yolo United has covered the travel expenses of sending over 80 college
students to Reno for weekend canvassing trips, and we will continue to
do so through Election Day. However, the Obama campaign needs our help
getting UC Davis students to Colorado for a get-out-the-vote push
starting on the 31st. We plan to send 10 UCD students to Denver for
election week, and they need your help getting there. If you would be
willing to purchase a plane ticket to help our students get to Colorado,
please email Brian Micek at bmicek at micekpublicaffairs.com.

For other out-of-state travel funding requests, please go to
http://www.travelforchange.org where potential travelers can apply for
donors to buy them tickets to travel to swing states.

EARLY VOTING AT UCD MU – 10/27- 10/31
Early voting will take place at the UCD MU from October 27th through
October 31st from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Anyone registered to vote in Yolo
County may vote there during that time. To check to make sure you are
registered in Yolo County go to yoloelections.org (Freddie Oakley, Yolo
County Clerk Recorder, assures us that all the new registrations will be
viewable on the web site by next Monday – they’re working overtime to
catch up!) or if you are registered outside of Yolo County go to
www.canivote.org.

NO ON 8 PHONE BANKING
No on Prop 8 phone banking continues at the Yolo United Davis
Headquarters. Phone banking will take place 3 more times -- Tuesday,
10/21, & Tuesday, 10/28, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday, 10/26, from 1 p.m.
to 4 p.m. Please bring your cell phones if you have one. To volunteer,
please email Dawn Student at: dmmstudent at onramp113.org.

No on 8 lawn signs, bumper stickers and window signs are available at
the Davis
Farmers’ Market on Saturdays and also on the front porch at 647 Sunset
Ct. (Davis) and at both Yolo United headquarters. There is a new
shipment so get those lawn signs out there!

NO ON 4 PHONE BANKING
No on 4 phone banking will take place at the Yolo United Davis HQ
Thursday nights October 23rd and 30th from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

On Thursday, October 23rd, during phone banking, special guest Deborah
Ortiz, former State Senator and current Planned Parenthood executive,
will give an update on Prop 4. The phone bank hours will be 5:30 p.m. to
8 p.m. on this night. For more information, contact Desiree Rojas at
916-390-0874 or Natalie Wormeli at 530-756-1900.

PHONE BANKING TO BATTLEGROUND STATES AT YU DAVIS HQ; THIS SUNDAY (10/26)
ADDED TO PHONE BANKING DAYS
Phone banking to battleground states continues at the Yolo United Davis
Headquarters behind Save Mart (1801 Hanover St, Ste. C). Phone banking
on Mondays and Wednesdays will now start at 4 p.m. because our new
target, Colorado, is on Mountain time.

Phone banking nights will continue to be held every Monday and Wednesday
from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. and every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. This
Sunday, October 26th, has just been added as a phone banking day with
calling from noon to 4 p.m. If you can, bring your cell phone and/or
your laptop. We will be using Skype technology to make most of the
calls. Scripts and training will be provided. For more information,
contact Tom Cronin at 530-756-6405 or Martha Beetley at 530-756-4222.

NEVADA WEEKENDS – THE BIG PUSH IN THIS SWING STATE
All out-of-state travel now needs to go through the Obama website at:

ca.barackobama.com/DrivetoNevada

Travel volunteers must sign up by 3:00 p.m. on the Sunday before their
trips. Travelers will receive phone calls by 9:00 p.m. on Tuesday prior
to the trip. Travel volunteers will receive a confirmation email of
their trip details on Thursday with location information.

ABSENTEE VOTER DEADLINES
The absentee or vote-by-mail ballot requests must be RECEIVED by the
County Clerk of the county in which you are registered by Thursday,
October 28th.

Although there is no stated deadline for mailing in the absentee or
vote-by-mail ballot, we recommend that you mail no later than Friday,
October 31st, as ballots must be received by the County Clerk no later
than 8 p.m. on Election Day in order to be counted (just being
postmarked that day isn’t enough).

If you have not mailed your absentee or vote-by-mail ballot in by
Friday, October 31st, remember, you can take it IN PERSON to ANY polling
place in Yolo County and turn it in before the polls close at 8 p.m. on
Election Day, November 4th.

WOODLAND CAMPAIGN WORK & ACTIVITIES
Precinct walking in Woodland is happening at these times:

• Sunday afternoons, 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
• Saturday mornings, 9 a.m. - Noon
• Monday and Thursday evenings, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Meet at the Yolo United Woodland HQ at 444 Main Street.

Alternatively, you can stop by the YU Woodland headquarters and adopt a
precinct. They’ll train you on the spot and give you all the gear you need.

Phone banking to local voters will take place on Wednesday and Thursday
evenings, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

LOIS WOLK ENDORSEMENTS
Vacaville Chamber of Commerce Business and Community Political Action
Committee : http://www.thereporter.com/news/ci_10666128

The Modesto Bee: http://www.modbee.com/opinion/story/462385.html

The Vacaville Reporter: http://www.thereporter.com/opinion/ci_10709578

UPCOMING EVENT:

WOOLDAND HQ GATHERS TO WATCH OBAMA INFOMERCIAL – 10/29
The Yolo United Woodland HQ will be hosting an Obama
Infomercial-Watching Gathering on Tuesday, October 29th, at 8 p.m. The
infomercial will run from 8:00 - 8:30 pm, so folks should come to the HQ
by 7:45 pm. Beverages will be available for a donation of $1 per drink.
For more info, folks can call the HQ at 661-0118 or 661-0119.

ELECTION NIGHT PARTY DETAILS WILL BE IN THE NEXT NEWSLETTER. PLAN ON
PARTYING WITH YOLO UNITED TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 4TH, AFTER 8 P.M.

NEWSLETTER SUBSCRIPTION/SUBMISSION INFORMATION:
You may opt out of the list by sending us a note at yolounited at gmail.com.

Send submissions for future issues or comments to Barbara Archer,
communications chair, Yolo United, at bdedavis at gmail.com.