[Davis Democrats] FW: Emily;s List on Sarah Palin

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Sat Sep 6 01:46:22 PDT 2008

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Ellen R. Malcolm" <information at emilyslist.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 17:31:00 -0400
To: John Chendo <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: Sarah Palin

 <http://emilyslist.org/r/19520/46764/>
Dear John,

 <http://emilyslist.org/r/19521/46764/> With the most important decision of
his presidential candidacy, Senator John McCain has made a dangerous
miscalculation. A new EMILY's List poll shows that women voters are not
responding positively to McCain's selection of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as
his running mate. With Palin's right-wing stances on the issues that are top
priorities to women voters -- from education to the environment -- her name
on the ticket only confirms what we've long known: John McCain will not
offer the progressive change this country needs.

Our poll shows that the more women learn about Sarah Palin's positions on
the issues, the less they identify with her. In fact, when told that she
describes herself as being "as pro-life as any candidate can be," opposing
abortion even for victims of rape and incest, almost twice as many women
voters (56%) view her less favorably.

  That's why it's so important that every voter knows the facts. Click here
to read The Five Facts You Should Know About Sarah Palin's Record and pass
it along to your friends. <http://emilyslist.org/r/19522/46764/>

 McCain's vice presidential pick only highlights the stark choice voters
will face in November. Among the women surveyed, the Democratic ticket of
Senators Barack Obama and Joe Biden is seen as best aligned with women's
issues, while McCain-Palin is considered out-of-step. And, in choosing
Palin, McCain squandered the single biggest advantage he had in a poll
EMILY's List conducted in August: experience.

 But while our research shows that Democrats have an incredible opportunity
to make their case to voters, one thing is clear: We have our work cut out
for us. While poll participants favored the leadership and change offered by
the Obama-Biden ticket, their commitment to the Democratic ticket increased
dramatically the more they learned about Palin¹s right-wing positions on the
issues.

 At EMILY's List, we are executing a comprehensive plan to educate and turn
out nearly 6.5 million women -- with a special focus on young, first-time
voters who are excited to elect Barack Obama -- so that we can defeat the
McCain-Palin ticket and Republicans at every level and elect progressives up
and down the ballot.

 But if we want voters to turn out for Democrats, they need to know the
facts about Republicans.

 Here's what you can do to help. Click here to read The Five Facts You
Should Know About Sarah Palin's Record and pass it along to your friends.
<http://emilyslist.org/r/19523/46764/>

 Thank you so much for all your hard work in putting our country back on
track.

Warmest regards,

Ellen R. Malcolm
President

P.S. Palin's speech last night at the Republican National Convention was
well-delivered, but said little about her right-wing beliefs. Now we need to
make sure women voters know her positions on the issues. Click here to learn
more about her record. <http://emilyslist.org/r/19524/46764/>

 <http://emilyslist.org/r/19525/46764/>

Make sure you receive email updates from EMILY's List. Add
information at emilyslist.org  <mailto:information at emilyslist.org> to your
approved senders list.