[Davis Democrats] Yolo United Letter to the Editor Program

Yolo United yolounited at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 17:28:28 PDT 2008

Yolo United Letters to the Editor Program

Have an opinion about this election? Yolo United wants you to “put it
down on paper” and send letters to the editor on behalf of the campaign
to your local newspaper – The Davis Enterprise, The Daily Democrat, The
California Aggie, The Sacramento Bee, The Winters Express, The West
Sacramento Press or The News-Ledger (West Sac).

Proofreading and editing help is available and encouraged. Please send a
draft of your letter to Barbara Archer at bdedavis at gmail.com for
proofing, however a letter author must send his/her own letter to the
newspaper. Most newspapers have areas on their websites that facilitate
letter submissions by email. Addresses are also provided on newspapers’
websites if you want to mail your letter.

For Davisites: We heard directly from Debbie Davis, editor of the
Enterprise, that she will not be imposing a number-of-letters limit from
individuals this election season. There is a 350-word limit and shorter
letters tend to run sooner than longer letters. Writers should include
their mailing address and phone number (for the Enterprise’s records
only). Email correspondents should expect a confirmation call from
Debbie’s assistant.

For Woodlanders: The Daily Democrat has recently changed its policy on
publication of endorsement letters concerning political candidates and
issues. People are encouraged to submit letters about local political
candidates and political issues. The Democrat asks you to limit your
letter to 350 words. You must provide your full name, residential
address and phone number for their records even if you are emailing a
letter.

Don’t feel shy combining issues in one letter.

Possible letter themes:

• Why Barack Obama and Joe Biden are ready to lead
• Why Barack Obama will unite the country to address our most important
issues
• Why we need a president who will end the war and rebuild our country’s
infrastructure
• Why a vote for Sarah Palin is not the same as a vote for Hillary Clinton
• Why Sarah Palin is not a good choice for “a heartbeat away”
• Why the youth vote is important
• Don’t take anything for granted – vote on Election Day to get
Democrats elected up and down the ticket, especially for Lois Wolk (her
right-wing Republican opponent has lots of campaign money)
• What Democratic values mean to you
• Effects of losing the election on the Supreme Court and a woman’s
right to choose
• The cost of not having universal health care
• Who wins and who loses with the McCain economic plan/the plight of the
shrinking middle class
• Education for our children with properly funded public education
• Add proposition opinions to your Democratic-themed letters

There’s less than 60 days to go, so start writing!