[Davis Democrats] Yolo United Newsletter 9/10

Barbara Archer bdedavis at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 16:46:01 PDT 2008

Everything you need to know from Yolo United for the week of 9/10:

The events covered in this newsletter are:

• Bean Feed Thanks
• Davis Precinct Walking – 9/11, 9/13 and 9/16
• Davis Precinct Captain Database Training
• Weekends Nevada
• Delaine Eastin’s Fund Raiser for Lois Wolk – 9/16
• Ladies’ Committee StoryVoices Performance – 9/21
• New Event - Mariko’s Soul Jam – 10/4
• Lois Wolk’s Luau Sponsorships and Tickets Now Available -10/10
• Brian Micek Joins Yolo United as Davis Volunteer Coordinator
• Davis Volunteer HQ System
• Absentee Ballot Timetable
• Voter Reg Makes a Difference
• Phonebanking to Battleground States on Mon., Wed., Sat.

BEAN FEED THANKS FROM YOLO UNITED CHAIR
To all of you, to each of you,

I cannot believe the level of success that you achieved at Saturday
night’s Bean Feed! That was a ROCKING good party. The food was
excellent, the room looked fantastic. The speakers were moving. I loved
the level of activity - people selling drink tickets, people selling
raffle tickets, the silent auction, and candidate supplies. WOW! is all
I can say. I am so grateful that you all turned out, that you each made
your mark and that we were so fortunate for the incredible turnout.
We ran out of forks! We ran out of plates! We almost ran out of food -
all wonderful signs of success.

You did it. You made the 32nd Annual Bean Feed a memorable kickoff to
the general campaign of a lifetime! Please know that we need each of you
from here on out helping us on the campaign. If you like fundraising
events - we have plenty of those for you to pitch in on. If you like
working on other facets of the campaign, come see us either at the Davis
or Woodland headquarters. Nothing short of democracy is at stake. Thank
you for all you have done and all you will do.

And, of course, a special thanks to Kandice Richardson Fowler, Robin
Souza and their team. This event took months of planning, and they left
no stone unturned. Thank you.

- Claire Black Slotton, Chair, Yolo United

BEAN FEED THANKS FROM BEAN FEED CHAIR
The Bean Feed was a wonderful success thanks to the efforts of the Bean
Feed Committee members, and the efforts of Claire and the rest of the
crew at Yolo United. Thank you Lois Wolk for lending your voice to a
call that undoubtedly helped increase the attendance. I would like to
express my appreciation to Marty West and the fundraising committee who
helped to get sponsors for this event and worked until more than 90% of
the folks left the Bean Feed helping with the Silent Auction check out.
Thanks again to Mariko Yamada, Andrea Jones and all who also helped with
the clean up. Don't let me leave out Art Pimentel for emceeing the event
- and thank you for rolling with the changes.

This event was wonderful, and despite some of our glitches due to a
larger attendance than anticipated (actually a success in my book), the
event received rave reviews. And while a lot of people complimented me
for pulling the event together - the credit goes to the Bean Feed
Committee for working together to put on a FABULOUS event. Committee
members were: Robin Souza, Anne Jackson, Karen Russell, Cameron Kuss and
LaVerne Petersen Ireland

- Kandice Richardson Fowler, Bean Feed Chair

DAVIS PRECINCT WALKING THIS WEEK
Precinct walks in three areas of Davis will happen this week. If you can
volunteer in these areas, we'd love to have your help! Less than 60 days
to go!

Far South Davis area on Thursday, September 11th, from 5 p.m. to 7:30
p.m. Contact person: Greg Gibbs at 758-6797 or at
pamandgreg at sbcglobal.net. Meet at the Gibbs’ home at 4012 Cowell Blvd.

Far East Davis area on Saturday, September 13th, from 10 a.m. to 12:30
p.m.. Contact person: Barbara McGhee at 758-3311 or at
barbaramcghee at comcast.net. For this walk, meet for training and
doughnuts at 3709 Los Cerros (off Oceano) at 9 a.m.

West Central Davis area on Tuesday, September 16th, from 5 p.m. to 7:30
p.m. Contact people: Tom Hagler at 756-4222 or at
tomandmartha912 at gmail.com; Christal Waters at 530-756-7006 or at
chrystal2waters at yahoo.com. Meet at Cesar Chavez school parking lot on
Anderson Rd.

DATABASE TRAINING FOR DAVIS PRECINCT CAPTAINS
Davis Precinct captains are encouraged to learn the VAN online database
and use it over the next two months. VAN training will be given by Randy
Milliken at his home every Saturday at 11 a.m. sharp and Wednesday
afternoons at 4 p.m. sharp, beginning September 13th. The location is at
the corner of 14th and B Streets (the only residence at that
intersection). RSVP to 530-756-8815 or to milliken at dcn.org. Special
request: Anyone know how to help Randy set up his Wi-Fi router for a
local area network? Please call him at 756-8815.

NEVADA WEEKENDS – THE BIG PUSH IN THIS SWING STATE
The Obama campaign is coordinating volunteers to Nevada for weekend
voter registration and identification. The "Big Push" weekends are
September 19th – 21st, October 3rd – 5th, October 17th – 19th, and
November 1st – 4th, however, the Reno area HQ can accommodate some
volunteers any weekend with prior notice. (Some free housing is
available.) If you are interested in helping in this important
battleground state, please contact Julie Kuo at julie.kuo at comcast.net.

DELAINE EASTIN TO HOST FUND RAISER FOR LOIS WOLK
Delaine Eastin, former California Superintendent of Public Instruction,
will host a fundraiser for Lois Wolk’s Senate campaign on Tuesday,
September 16th, at
6 p.m. at 4228 Dogwood Pl. in Davis.

Individual tickets are $50. Student tickets are $25. Sponsorship levels
are: Platinum sponsors at $1,000; Gold sponsors at $500; Silver sponsors
at $250; Bronze sponsors at $100. Checks will be taken at the door made
payable to: Wolk for Senate 2008, I.D. # 1293204 (General, 2008). Please
contact Delaine if you are interested in sponsoring this event at
deollie at aol.com and at 530-792-0282.

RSVP to Connie Sanders Emerson at conniesandersemerson at earthlink.net or
at 916-456-4098.

THE LADIES’ COMMITTEE TO ELECT OBAMA PRESENTS “OPEN TICKET” PERFORMED BY
STORYVOICES ON SEPTEMBER 21ST
Four years ago, The Ladies’ Committee held a wildly successful, sold-out
fund raiser featuring StoryVoices, an award-winning, Sacramento-based
quartet of actors (www.storyvoices.com).

StoryVoices has again generously agreed to collaborate with the Ladies’
Committee by presenting their new, original show “Open Ticket” on
Sunday, September 21st, at 2 p.m. at the Veterans’ Memorial Theater in
Davis. This performance will raise critical funds for strategic campaign
work. Download the event flyer to get event, RSVP and ticket ordering
information at:

http://www.yolounited.com/ladies_committee.pdf

Tickets will also be sold at the door. 100% of your ticket price will go
toward getting out the vote for Democrats.

MARIKO YAMADA’S SOUL JAM!
8th Assembly District Nominee Mariko Yamada is throwing a Birthday Soul
Jam on Saturday, October 4th, at the Three Oaks Community Center (1100
Alamo Drive) in Vacaville from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Sponsorship levels and ticket prices are:

• Ain’t No Stoppin’ Us Now $3,600 (sponsor)
• R-E-S-P-E-C-T $2,500 (sponsor)
• I Feel Good $1,000 (sponsor)
• $100 STAND! (two tickets)
• $25 Everyday People (individual ticket)

Please RSVP to at cjansenconsulting at gmail.com or at 916-706-1404.

Make checks payable to Friends of Yamada 2008 (ID # 1295700), P.O. Box
70, Davis, CA, 95617. Contributions will be used to elect Mariko Yamada
to the State Assembly in 2008.

LOIS’ LUAU SPONSORSHIPS AND TICKETS NOW AVAILABLE
Bring your friends and family and join Assemblymember Lois Wolk at the
6th Annual Lois' Luau featuring a special guest speaker. The event will
be held Friday, October 10th. Lois’ Luau will be at the Dixon May
Fairgrounds. The reception starts at 5:30 p.m. with dinner at 6:00 p.m.,
and the evening’s program begins at 7:00 p.m. Sponsorship and tickets
are available now.

Sponsorship levels are: Big Kahuna - $3,600; Canoe Makers - $1,000;
Ulana Weaves - $500; Hula Dancers - $250. Individual tickets are $35.
Please RSVP to 916-456-4098. Make checks payable to: Wolk for Senate
2008, I.D. # 1293204. Checks can be mailed to her office at: 1127 11th
Street, Suite 505, Sacramento, CA, 95814. For information, contact
Colleen Haley, Campaign Coordinator, Wolk for Senate 2008, at
colleen at loiswolk.com.

BRIAN MICEK NAMED VOLUNTEER COORDINATOR FOR YOLO UNITED
Hurray! The Yolo United Davis headquarters has hired a volunteer
coordinator. Head in to meet and welcome Brian Micek to Yolo United.
Brian can set you up with a precinct to call (probably outside of
Davis), a neighborhood to walk, voter registration materials or an
administrative task any day between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Or if he isn't
there, one of his trusty assistants will help you. Any day, any time,
you can be working to make sure Obama and the rest of our great
Democrats get elected and that Propositions 4 and 8 go down in flames
(see our slate card/door hanger for our full list of endorsements).
Contact Brian at the YU Davis Headquarters at 530-231-5746 or at
bmicek at micekpublicaffairs.com or at 916-801-4257 (cell).

MESSAGE FOR DAVIS HQ VOLUNTEERS
Attention Davis Volunteers: Check out the new Volunteer Board at the
Davis HQ! Current tasks needing to be completed include: cutting out
cardboard voter registration clip boards, making dinner for Students for
Obama’s Thursday night Board Meeting, data entry, designing and
decorating a voter reg card collection box (your craftiness and craft
supplies are appreciated!), and more! Stop on by the HQ or call ahead!

THE ABSENTEE BALLOT HOME STRETCH
Across America more and more people vote early. We have 57 more days, as
of Monday, to convince 75% of America that McCain and Palin are not good
for us. But we only have 28 more days until 25% of America starts
sending in their absentee ballots. This fact makes our work even more
urgent. To volunteer, come to the Yolo United offices in Davis or
Woodland or visit yolounited.com to get contact information.

HOW MUCH DIFFERENCE AN HOUR OF YOUR TIME CAN MAKE:
VOTER REGISTRATION NUMBERS IN SWING STATES LOOK GOOD FOR THE OBAMA FOR
PRESIDENT CAMPAIGN.
The link below has a good summary on voter registration changes in many
important states across the country since the beginning of the year.
This shows how the increased interest in the Democratic primaries and
the Obama campaigns emphasis on voter registration is paying off. For
example, Kerry lost Nevada to Bush in 2004 by 21,000 votes. So far, this
year there are net additional 1,230 Republican voters and a net increase
of 51,547 new Democratic voters. State after state shows similar trends,
In California, between January and May there were 46,500 net increase in
Republican voters and 417,800 net new Democratic voters. Check out this
related story:

http://dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/9/6/05150/43557/176/588661

Helping with voter registration is one of the fundamental actions we can
all take to help improve our democracy, and help see President Obama
inaugurated in January. Please contact Voter Reg Chair Bob Schelen if
this is of interest to you at slobadbobs at aol.com.

PHONE BANKING TO BATTLEGROUND STATES AT YU DAVIS HQ
Phone banking to battleground states continues at the Yolo United Davis
Headquarters behind Save Mart (1801 Hanover St, Ste. C).

Phone banking nights will be held every Monday and Wednesday from 5 p.m.
to 8 p.m. and every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. If you can, bring
your cell phone and/or your laptop. We will be using Skype technology to
make most of the calls. Scripts and training will be provided. For more
information, contact Tom Cronin at 530-756-6405 or Martha Beetley at
530-756-4222.

LOST GLASSES?
A pair of women’s prescription glasses in their case was found at the
Souza's house after the Obama acceptance speech party. Please contact
Robin Souza to claim at rosouza at sbcglobal.net.

NEWSLETTER SUBSCRIPTION/SUBMISSION INFORMATION:
You may opt out of the list by sending us a note at yolounited at gmail.com.

Send submissions for future issues or comments to Barbara Archer,
communications chair, Yolo United, at bdedavis at gmail.com.

--
Barbara Archer
bdedavis at gmail.com