[Davis Democrats] Please forward this to Sydney Vergis for the newsletter

Adrienne Kandel adrienne at dcn.org
Sat Sep 13 23:02:56 PDT 2008

Twelve reasons why as a mother, I can’t support Sarah Palin and with her
John McCain.

1. *Sarah Palin and John McCain will tax my children.* Who else do you
think will pay when we keep cutting taxes on the rich, and borrowing
unprecedented amounts of money?

2. *Sarah Palin doesn’t think greenhouse gases cause global warming*, so
what kind of planet will she leave my children?

3.. *Sarah Palin laughed at an adversary’s weight, and sets a
mean-spirited example for my children. *On radio, Palin laughed when the
host mocked Senate President Lyda Green for Green’s weight, and when the
host called Green a “bitch,” and when he called cancer-surviving Green a
“cancer,” and when he suggested Green didn’t love her own children. Then
Sarah said she’d be honored to have the host visit her.
http://www.adn.com/opinion/comment/story/295464.html 130 people called
an Anchorage radio show to complain about their governor’s behavior:
that’s a lot in a city of 280,000 people (Anchorage has 40% of Alaska’s
population).

4. *I want my children to have affordable medical insurance no matter
what job they choose or switch to, like they would in every other
developed country. *Palin and McCain won’t see to that, but Obama will.

5. *Palin and McCain will make my children less safe. *The war in Iraq,
which Palin and Bush have said were God’s will, has created so much
camera-friendly suffering that it’s bred terrorists all over the world
(and decimated the ages-old Iraqi Christian community). It diverted our
troops from seeking out Al Qaeda terrorists in Afghanistan – the folks
who attacked us (Iraq didn’t). Palin says we’re “winning” now, but
“winning” just means lessening the mayhem a little and supporting a
government that’s cozy with dangerous Iranian president Ahmedinijad.
This “winning” doesn’t make us any safer.

Obama will make us safer because he knows how to speak softly as well as
carry a big stick; he motivates foreign citizens to wave American flags
instead of burning them. McCain and Palin try to bluster by on the stick
alone – and that stick will get less smaller as they bankrupt us out of
affording our military advantage.

6. *Palin and McCain’s tax policy will help the rich, not working
families. *Obama will give me and my $45,000 salary a $1000 tax cut
while McCain gives us $300. But if I made $3 million /per year/ McCain
would give me $270,000 more per year and Obama would have me give back
just part of my huge Bush years’ tax cut, helping us pay as we go for
government services. **

7. *Palin and McCain can’t help our economy because they assume it will
take care of itself. *Example: we lost hundreds billions to the Savings
and Loan bailout decades ago because McCain and friends stopped us from
regulating financial markets. Now we’re bleeding taxpayer dollars and
foreclosing people’s homes because McCain and friends still kept
government from overseeing lending practices. Sarah Palin’s no better:
she thought Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were public companies when they
were private – I bet it’s because they nearly tanked and she can’t
imagine a private owner goofing up.

8. *Sarah Palin is dishonest. *For example she keeps implying she always
opposed the “Bridge to Nowhere” when she supported it until it became
unpopular. Then she had Alaska keep the federal money but spend it
elsewhere. She says she opposes earmarks but got over $25 million
earmarked for her town of 6500. Her slurs against Obama are false and
politically motivated, maybe scripted by Karl Rove.

9. *Like Bush, Palin fires folks who don’t tow her line,* meaning she
won’t hear all sides and will make bad decisions. She even did this in
her town twice the size of my high school, where everyone must know each
other. (Except the population didn’t let her fire the librarian who
wouldn’t ban books for her.)

10. *Sarah Palin not qualified.* She’s spent 20 months running a state
with a population the size of Fort Worth’s, and no budget problems
because it’s oil-rich. Before that she was a mayor and councilwoman of a
town twice the size of my high school. That’s it. No foreign policy
experience: zero. Like George W. Bush before he became president.

11. *Palin is extremist.* She sported a button for Pat Buchanan for
president in 2000, she’s drawn cheers from her husband’s secessionist
group, she believes even 12-year-olds raped by their father shouldn’t be
allowed an abortion, even the week they get pregnant. (I don’t like
abortion but that sort of child abuse leaves scars beyond the 9 months
of pregnancy.)

12. *Sarah Palin is a snob, unless she just asks snobby to manipulate
us.*. She brags about her “small town values” as if I don’t know how to
pass on good values to my kids just because I live in a city of 60,000.
I think it’s a fake image to draw votes, part of a Republican plan to
make people think Democrats are “latte-drinking” elites which is pretty
random considering the more rich a person is the more likely they are to
be Republican.