[Davis Democrats] Everything You Need to Know From Yolo United - 9/24

Yolo United yolounited at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 22:46:15 PDT 2008

Everything you need to know from Yolo United (9/24 issue):

The events covered in this newsletter are:

• Davis Debate Party – Grad, 9/26
• Woodland Debate Party – YU Woodland HQ, 9/26
• The Final Day of Voter Reg – Come Help!
• 5 Great Reasons to Vote Absentee
• Davis Precinct Walking
• Sweet Treats for Voter Reg
• Woodland Campaign Activities
• No on 8 Phone Banking – Tues. and Sun.
• Davis Precinct Captain Database Training – Special Training Sat.
• Nevada Weekends – Swing State Push
• Phone banking to Battleground States on Mon., Wed., Sat.
• Vallejo Voter Reg Opps
• Computers and Supplies Needed at Davis HQ
• Mariko’s Soul Jam – 10/4
• Lois Wolk’s Luau Sponsorships and Tickets Now Available -10/10
• Afternoon in the Country – 10/11

NEW EVENTS:

DAVIS DEBATE PARTY AT THE GRAD
The Yolo United Davis office will hold a debate-watching party at The
Graduate (805 Russell Blvd., University Mall, Davis) this Friday night,
September 26th. Come, order your dinner to support the Grad and enjoy
watching Obama soar to victory. The debate starts at 6 pm, so come a
little earlier and order your grub.

WOODLAND DEBATE PARTY AT YU WOODLAND HQ
Please join fellow Obama supporters at the Woodland Yolo United
Headquarters (444 Main St.) this Friday evening, September 26th, to
watch the first Presidential debate. The debate will begin at 6:00 p.m.,
so plan to arrive any time after 5:30 p.m.

Bring your own chair and your own food. Beverages (soda, beer and wine)
will be available for a donation of $1 per drink. A donation of $10
(checks payable to YCDCC-Federal Account) will also be requested at the
door (let's keep the lights and TV working for ALL the debates!).

CAMPAIGN NEWS & ACTIVITIES:

THE FINAL DAYS OF VOTER REG – COME HELP US!
We have 27 days (as of today) to register Democratic voters, and we need
your help!

The deadline to register for this election is Monday, October 20th. Make
sure no one misses out.

The more Democratic voters we register the more votes for Obama, Wolk,
(and she will need her Yolo votes to offset the votes in her opponent’s
home base in Stockton). It will also help in the efforts to defeat
Props. 4 and 8, as well as bring to victory the various local measures
that we support. The key to winning is registering voters and getting
them out to vote.

We have shifts at storefronts throughout Yolo County and Dixon. If you
have not already been trained, please come to the headquarters for
training and sign up to register voters. If you have been trained, sign
up for a shift. There also opportunities to register voters at apartment
complexes, on campus and at other venues.

We have people ready to train you to register voters. The trainings are:

• Tuesdays, noon to 1 p.m.
• Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

We may also have a Thursday evening trainings as well, so please call
the Yolo United Davis headquarters at 530-231-5746 to confirm. We can
also train you by appointment.

FIVE GREAT REASONS TO VOTE ABSENTEE
There is an area on the voter registration form that asks if a voter
wants to register as a permanent absentee voter (PAV). Below are five
important reasons to register as a "PAV."

• Convenience – vote at home at your leisure; you have weeks, instead of
just 13 hours on Election Day
• Flexibility – cast your vote by mail, or walk it into any polling
place in the county on Election Day
• Paper Ballot – no vote tampering, recountable
• Raises Voter Turnout – from 50% to 85%!
• Saves Time for Election Day volunteers – no need to remind absentees
to vote

DAVIS PRECINCT WALKING
Yolo United is calling for volunteers for a new selection of precinct walks.

North Central Davis, Thursday, September 25th, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. contact
people: Meron Agonafer at 530-758-5227 or meron.agonafer at gmail.com or
Tom Cronin at 530-756-6405 or tgcronin at yahoo.com. Meet at Veteran's
Hall/Davis High School at 4 p.m. for training and materials distribution.

Northeast Davis, Tuesday, September 30th, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.; contact
people: Randy Milliken at 530-756-8815 or milliken at dcn.org or Cameron
Kuss at 530-902-0022 or cameron.kuss at gmail.com. Tentative meeting place
is near fast food restaurant in NE corner of Nugget Parking lot. Confirm
with Randy or Cameron.

SWEET TREATS FOR VOTER REG
Want to help with the campaign? Here's another tasty opportunity - bake
cookies or brownies (or the like), and we'll serve them to students on
campus while they register to vote - your cookies could also sustain a
voter reg volunteer! To participate in this program, deliver your baked
goods to Yolo United Davis headquarters, 1801 Hanover, Suite C (behind
SaveMart) between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. between September 28th and October
10th. We'll deliver them from there to the table outside the M.U. on
campus. Thanks in advance for sharing tasty treats with our students!

WOODLAND CAMPAIGN WORK & ACTIVITIES
Precinct Walking in Woodland is happening at these times:

• Sunday afternoons, 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
• Saturday mornings, 9 a.m. - Noon
• Monday and Thursday evenings, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Meet at the Yolo United Woodland HQ at 444 Main Street.

Phone banking to local voters will take place on Wednesday and Thursday
evenings, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. (phone banking will not take place on
October 2nd and October 15th during debate-watch gatherings in the HQ).

NO ON 8 PHONE BANKING
No on Prop 8 phone banking is underway at the Yolo United Davis
Headquarters at 1801 Hanover, Suite C (behind Save Mart off Anderson and
Covell). Phone banking will be every Tuesday evening from 6 p.m. to 9
p.m. and Sunday afternoons (beginning 9/21) from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Bring
your laptop if you have one. To volunteer, please email Dawn Student at:
dmmstudent at onramp113.org

Lawn signs, bumper stickers and window signs are available at the Davis
Farmers Market on Saturdays and also on the front porch at 647 Sunset
Ct. (Davis).

DATABASE TRAINING FOR DAVIS PRECINCT CAPTAINS – SPECIAL TRAINING THIS
SATURDAY
Davis Precinct captains are encouraged to learn the VAN online database
and to use it over the next two months. VAN training will be given by
Randy Milliken at his home every Saturday at 11 a.m. sharp (except this
Saturday – see below) and Wednesday afternoons at 4 p.m. sharp. The
location is at the corner of 14th and B Streets (the only residence at
that intersection). RSVP to 530-756-8815 or to milliken at dcn.org.

ALERT: This Saturday, September 27th, we are having a special database
class from 10 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. at the Blanchard Room in the Davis
Branch of the Yolo County Library (315 East 14th St.) put on by Dan
Ancona, statewide director of the VoterConnect database program. At
11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m., Dan will run an administrators’ training at the
same venue. Randy’s regular database training is canceled for this Saturday.

NEVADA WEEKENDS – THE BIG PUSH IN THIS SWING STATE
The Obama campaign is coordinating volunteers to Nevada for weekend
voter registration and identification. The "Big Push" weekends are:
October 3rd – 5th, October 17th – 19th, and November 1st – 4th. However,
the Reno area HQ can accommodate some volunteers any weekend with prior
notice. (Some free housing is available.) If you areinterested in
helping in this important battleground state, please contact Julie Kuo
at julie.kuo at comcast.net.

PHONE BANKING TO BATTLEGROUND STATES AT YU DAVIS HQ
Phone banking to battleground states continues at the Yolo United Davis
Headquarters behind Save Mart (1801 Hanover St, Ste. C).

Phone banking nights will be held every Monday and Wednesday from 5 p.m.
to 8 p.m. and every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. If you can, bring
your cell phone and/or your laptop. We will be using Skype technology to
make most of the calls. Scripts and training will be provided. For more
information, contact Tom Cronin at 530-756-6405 or Martha Beetley at
530-756-4222.

VALLEJO VOTER REG OPPORTUNITIES
If you'd like to help register voters in Solano County, here are some
opportunities:

• Safeway, Georgia St. 9/27 -- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Safeway, Glen Cove 9/29 -- 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
• Safeway, Georgia St. 10/ 3 -- 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
• Safeway, Georgia St. 10/4 -- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Safeway, Georgia St. 10/11 -- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Contact Solano County voter reg coordinator John Williams to RSVP at
707-208-6806 or at oldschoolcool at comcast.net.

USED COMPUTERS & OTHER SUPPLIES NEEDED
The Yolo United Davis HQ needs a few more computers. If you can donate a
used computer, please contact Brian Micek at the YU Davis Headquarters
at 530-231-5746 or at bmicek at micekpublicaffairs.com or at 916-801-4257
(cell).

The HQ could also use a button maker and a three-hole punch.

SPECIAL EVENTS:

MARIKO YAMADA’S SOUL JAM!
8th Assembly District Nominee Mariko Yamada is throwing a Birthday Soul
Jam on Saturday, October 4th, at the Three Oaks Community Center (1100
Alamo Drive) in Vacaville from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Sponsorship levels and ticket prices are:

• Ain’t No Stoppin’ Us Now $3,600 (sponsor)
• R-E-S-P-E-C-T $2,500 (sponsor)
• I Feel Good $1,000 (sponsor)
• $100 STAND! (two tickets)
• $25 Everyday People (individual ticket)

Please RSVP to at cjansenconsulting at gmail.com or at 916-706-1404.

Make checks payable to Friends of Yamada 2008 (ID # 1295700), P.O. Box
70, Davis, CA, 95617. Contributions will be used to elect Mariko Yamada
to the State Assembly in 2008.

Download the event flyer at: http://www.yolounited.com/events

LOIS’ LUAU OCTOBER 10TH IN DIXON
Bring your friends and family and join Assemblymember Lois Wolk at the
6th Annual Lois' Luau featuring a special guest speaker. The event will
be held Friday, October 10th. Lois’ Luau will be at the Dixon May
Fairgrounds. The reception starts at 5:30 p.m. with dinner at 6:00 p.m.,
and the evening’s program begins at 7:00 p.m.

Sponsorship and tickets are available now. Sponsorship levels are:

• Big Kahuna - $3,600
• Canoe Makers - $1,000
• Ulana Weaves - $500
• Hula Dancers - $250

Individual tickets are $35. Please RSVP to 916-456-4098. Make checks
payable to: Wolk for Senate 2008, I.D. # 1293204. Checks can be mailed
to her office at: 1127 11th Street, Suite 505, Sacramento, CA, 95814.
For information, contact Colleen Haley, campaign coordinator, Wolk for
Senate 2008, at colleen at loiswolk.com.

AN AFTERNOON IN THE COUNTRY – OCTOBER 11TH
Yolo United invites you to a fabulous fund raiser - “An Afternoon in the
Country” co-sponsored by John and Marsha Anderson and Richard and Evelyn
Rominger. The event on Saturday, October 11th, from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
will feature slow food savories and music by Jive Mountain. Come out to
Hedgrerow Farms at 21740 County Road 88 in Winters. Suggested donation
is $100, 100% of which goes to getting out the vote in Yolo County.
Please RSVP to Stefan Harvey at 530-792-1130 or at stefh2002 at yahoo.com.
Checks must be made payable to “YCDCC Federal Account” and can be mailed
to Yolo United at P.O. Box 72685, Davis, CA 95617.

Download the event flyer at: http://www.yolounited.com/events

NEWSLETTER SUBSCRIPTION/SUBMISSION INFORMATION:

You may opt out of the list by sending us a note at yolounited at gmail.com.

Send submissions for future issues or comments to Barbara Archer,
communications chair, Yolo United, at bdedavis at gmail.com.