[Davis Democrats] Demand debate Friday night: We need a real debate on the economy.

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Thu Sep 25 11:34:38 PDT 2008

Dear Friend,

John McCain thinks we don't need a presidential debate on
Friday night. We
disagree. We need a real debate on the economy, and we need
it now. The
presidential candidates should hold their debate Friday as
scheduled, and
address the proposed $700 billion Wall Street bailout.

We've
been hearing a lot this week about how our economy is in a crisis -
maybe
the worst crisis since the Great Depression. Politicians on the left
and the
right have made all kinds of claims about exactly how much or
little we
should panic and what that means for the policies we should
enact.

We
reject the notion that canceling the debate is the best way to focus on
the
economy. We have a monumental decision to make this November, and we
deserve
a robust conversation on the defining issues of our time.

I just signed a
petition calling on Senators McCain and Obama to debate
economic issues this
Friday -- I hope you will too.

Please have a look and take
action.