[Davis Democrats] Volunteer action opportunity: Telephone -republicans trying to bring down the state of California

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Mon Feb 16 22:57:48 PST 2009

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Brian Leubitz, Calitics.com" <brian at calitics.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 22:07:58 -0500 (EST)
To: <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: This is a Hostage Situation

Tell Your Friends to Stop GOP Hostage Games. View this on the Web
<http://campaign.constantcontact.com/render?v=001pY5hS1Yak5gYveWKqIy2Kg-Eq7l
w-Z92RC8vOhI5Kwf_pTDfDKds9sXgnUJgNczKkd7AdpI48lVflnbp6988QnrnkZf-QBT8ws1zAWt
TDr0%3D>
 <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102403604945&e=001bifLaeaVg51E0XJa3FICD0PIXa1lZy
yFalATK_JE-HD3QhJ3EB235uWl7IpIVjEz95xZZMaEuQatlg9m-Z1b7YuIQLwD3W_zTwU_ydbI58
o=>
Calitics.com Update
 What's going on at California's leading progressive blog...

 <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102403604945&e=001bifLaeaVg50MM9MzJrXVmAix41tyMk
Jay1HvRI6if1tBDi4TjGU73lhQ7uYrN3Iax_R_U56OonWvEJcqX50eiUoSBnEVXt_yRamz6Asacu
M=> Hey there, registered Calitics user -

If you have been watching Calitics or the news this week, you've heard about
the budget debacle going on in Sacramento.  For the last three days, we have
remained one vote short of the required two-thirds majority for a budget
deal, with only two Republicans being willing to join the Democratic caucus
in the Senate. You can follow our coverage of the Budget here:

http://budget.calitics.com
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102403604945&e=001bifLaeaVg52vC4mqec5VjUuKYq-QvjN
FBLpCIN-wLhbS9pCEK4UEXNq8YYw8u2Qyr8jYunl9ENzbj_BIjxG2bj6ridqPNTihn3bIv5pkJbM
fiB5H4VMwkw==>

To be blunt, the budget deal on the table is a mess. It consists of over
twenty bills in each chamber. It guts environmental protections on several
major projects, it offers gifts to corporations and a few powerful
industries.  It relies on cuts and borrowing far too heavily, and does not
provide the real long-term fixes of our revenue stream that we so
desperately need. And the spending cap that will go to the ballot in the
spring represents a major step backward, and progressives will have to
expend substantial resources to defeat it. Yet despite all that, only one
thing is really clear:

If we do nothing, the state faces systemic collapse.

Because Republicans refused for years to look at new revenues to balance the
state's budget, California is being hit harder by the economic crisis than
any other state. We face a $40 billion deficit, and already the state is
running out of money. Schools are looking at cutting classes and laying off
teachers. Tomorrow, if there is no budget, 276 infrastructure projects will
be halted - affecting 38,000 workers in the state, and the governor has
announced that he will issue layoff notices to 20,000 state workers. And the
state's credit rating, already low, will suffer further downgrades,
effectively costing taxpayers more money.

The media has now taken notice that the Republicans are trying to bring the
state down
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102403604945&e=001bifLaeaVg50V4MNjC3c2OrxTiNK9-tv
NhBUxF3Ki9VBAY3-CU8SQMYks0IKkK_Msvl6QyOJJL5Q0Dg616iJ-LYmq5JALXygaTyz_C7y42qS
ZBrFv6BzYfBgd8TKOuv6v7D-gVCuTNpNoH2DQdYhN_w==> with them. But the media has
little power if we aren't watching and if our leaders don't know we are
watching them. So, here is what we need to do:
1. Call Senator Abel Maldanado (R-Monterey County, 916-651-4015) and tell
him to give up his list of demands
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102403604945&e=001bifLaeaVg50zNEAo3siYPLadk_dXCzr
j5GHXpxDH4mnUNw1oPEWQArnfwYTbGeN4sxezKPgF32UhCSzPtlcJaoMH14FK8xqqLIU-77k5TOU
vzNH2LSGMOjmYRUWYnVudE6ZhaPxfq3298ZgfGTowaw==>  and end this hostage
situation.
2.
3. Call Senator Dave Cox (R-Fair Oaks, 916-651-4001) and tell him that the
state deserves better than a Senator who goes back on a deal
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102403604945&e=001bifLaeaVg51vosR6HVxQGwNyTfEgWg5
xB0c92YL-J6dzI2DUXyDFE9BnmaFEDQd4SOjiHzHK61h7HibBZbOYvYJbhomBSKnFEDWa2dfDA0S
u8qz7UuHpKBPcvAoqDteolBkO-l0JPxoJKLetQuJc0w==>  when threatened by his own
party's extremists.
4.
5. Tell as many people to do the same thing. Use every tool at your
disposal, Twitter, facebook, or just word of mouth. The more people that
know about this Republican extremism threatening our state, the better.
The Senate is set to once again resume session, and we might be in for
another all-nighter. However, keep at it, because this is simply too
important to let Republicans play their dangerous games with the lives of
Californians.