[Davis Democrats] volunteer: action opportunity: sign a petition- We don't need 60 votes for health insurance reform-HowardDean, MD

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Wed Sep 30 07:35:57 PDT 2009

------ Forwarded Message

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 15:29:28 -0400 (EDT)
To: <jac07 at dcn.org>
Subject: We don't need 60 votes

<http://act.truemajority.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=QunQGBGMhxVoAZX7gBuw9SX7orF
QTP%2Bm>

<http://act.truemajority.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=uHfAhxoPFoqQ%2F4Lt2C4NPSX7o
rFQTP%2Bm> After months of painfully slow negotiations, today the Senate
Finance Committee voted to give away meaningful health care reform in
exchange for a few votes from conservatives.1

 Committee Chair Max Baucus says that decision - to kill the public option
and therefore require us to buy insurance with less help and fewer choices -
was necessary.2 Without this concession, Baucus and others say, we can't
pass a bill through the Senate.

 They're wrong, and Dr. Howard Dean can prove it. Dean is backing a strong
reform plan that includes a public insurance option. And he says we've got
the votes to pass it.3

 Join Dr. Dean, millions of Americans and over 50 percent of Congress by
signing this petition now:
<http://act.truemajority.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=icj2fMhDZb1aXVG%2Fm53oJCX7o
rFQTP%2Bm>

      http://www.americacantwait.com/TrueMajority
<http://act.truemajority.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=TgGtb%2FBEzglP2L5e90sEu2VW8
RFB2A6i> .

 For years we've been told that you need 60 votes in the Senate to pass a
bill. And so all summer long, we waited through gun-toting town halls, death
panel fictions and shouted insults to see if Sen. Baucus and his committee
could get a few conservatives to support reform and help us reach that magic
number. As of today, we know that effort has failed.

 But Howard Dean has a solution. A special procedure called reconciliation
can be used to pass a bill through the Senate with 51 votes. And Dean's put
in the work to make sure that we've got the support we need in the House,
the Senate and at the White House to win.4, 5

 There's no more reason to wait. Howard Dean has shown that real reform has
the votes to pass. And with thousands more Americans losing their insurance
or having care denied every day, we can't afford to wait much longer for
Congress to act.

 Sign the petition and tell Congress
<http://act.truemajority.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Cmr5E47vEr4uVhg3%2B%2FAd7SX
7orFQTP%2Bm> : Get reform done! Pass a strong bill with a simple majority
that lets us choose a public insurance plan.

 - Matt Holland
 Online Director
 TrueMajority/USAction 1 -
prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/29/live-blogging-senate-finance-comm
ittee-debate-on-public-option/?hp
 2 -
voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2009/09/29/public_option_debate_moves_to.html?w
prss=44
 3 - americacantwait.com/yes_votes
 4 -
blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics/2009/09/liberal-groups-target-sen-baucus-on-he
alth-care.html
 5 -
cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/09/24/politics/politicalhotsheet/entry5336183.shtml

 If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for
TrueMajority.
<http://act.truemajority.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=1NJjfrQneN0mNvp8vedUASX7orF
QTP%2Bm>

 TrueMajority.org
<http://act.truemajority.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=hpD9828rBTmCyhZ163YvPyX7orF
QTP%2Bm>   is a grassroots group of citizens who believe in America's true
values of  openness, fairness and compassion. We believe participating in an
effective  government is the best way to be mutually responsible for our
community. TrueMajority is a project of USAction, a 501(c)(4) organization
under the IRS tax code.