[Davis Democrats] Voluntary action op: The President leads on corporate speech-from U.S.Senator Schumer(D-NY)

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Thu Feb 4 14:34:43 PST 2010

------ Forwarded Message
From: Chuck Schumer <info at chuckschumer.com>

Subject: The President leads on corporate speech

Trouble viewing this message? Click here to view it as a web page.
<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=x5T0SY5FA7ShMM0zItSk%2F
P%2FenQH1Ke35>

   Dear John,

 You may have heard that the Supreme Court recently granted corporations the
right to directly influence political campaigns.

 It's a dangerous new ruling that overturns more than 100 years of law and
precedent -- and the most dangerous part might be that it gives foreign
governments and foreign-controlled corporations a massive loophole through
which they can influence the outcome of American elections.

 As Chairman of the Senate Rules Committee, my Democratic colleagues and I
are taking the President's lead and moving to fix this.  But Republicans
have already shown this is just the latest thing they'll say "no" to.

 We are drafting legislation and will be introducing it soon, but first I
want to know where you stand -- take a moment to click here and tell me what
you think about closing this loophole.
<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=turFsfJMT4dqm%2Bc4SiaJn
PJ%2FpUiP4PVc>

 In his State of the Union address last week, President Obama urged Congress
to place new restrictions to limit the influence special interests and
foreigners have in politics.

 And did you see how the crowd reacted when he said that?

 On the Democratic side of the aisle, we all stood up to cheer.  On the
Republican side, everyone sat in silence, glued to their seats.

 With the President's support, the Senate Rules Committee and I held a
hearing on this issue on Tuesday.

 But before we finalize the bill we introduce, I want to know whether people
like you are going to sit on your hands with the Republicans or stand up to
move this country forward.

 Click here to tell me whether you're ready to stand up and help us move
forward.
<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=gANF2KkFp5PW%2FNNS1K8KE
P%2FenQH1Ke35>

 The main thrust of the President's State of the Union speech was about
creating jobs, and that's good news.  We have to focus on jobs, the economy,
and helping middle class families right now.

 But keeping special interests and foreigners from gaining undue influence
on the process will make that focus possible.

 Thank you,

 Chuck Schumer

<http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=GKYkodbsYCmI5nCNLC6X%2B
v%2FenQH1Ke35>