[Davis Democrats] voluntary action opportunities:this FRIDAY-GRAPES OF WRATH-UCDAVIS-75th Anniversary

John Chendo jac07 at dcn.org
Thu Mar 6 06:21:30 PST 2014

> Dear Democrats:
>

> A)On March 7, Friday, 75th Anniversary of John Steinbeck's epic novel and Oscar winning movie. At UCDavis' Lab A inside Wright Hall (theatre building between Music and Art Studio buildings in southeast corner of campus)there will be an all-day symposium to explore John Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath" and the social, cultural, and historical issues it raises for us in our time. Admission is free, 1030am-545pm.

> Participating UCD scholars include Sasha Abramsky, author of one of the NYTimes 100 Most Notable Books of 2013,"The American Way of Poverty: How the Other Half Still Lives."

> For more info and agenda,  http://arts.ucdavis.edu/pod/grapes-wrath-symposium. Also for play schedule, http://arts.ucdavis.edu/seasonal-event/grapes-wrathdirected-granada-artist-miles-anderson.

Friday's schedule: 1030-12noon The New Dust Bowl-US Southwest and Rural Poverty: Sasha Abramsky and Professor of Economics Marianne Page,Deputy Director of Center for Poverty Research
1:30-3pm Cultural Aspects-Song and Novel: W.Scott McLean, Lecturer in Comparative Literature and German; Eric Rauchway, Professor of History and author of A Short History of the Depression; Matthew Stratton, Assistant Professor of English
3:15-4:30pm Current Rural Poverty with 1930s Comparison -Law Professor Lisa Pruitt; Philip Martin, Professor in UC Comparative Immigration & Integration Program and Editor,Rural  Migration News
4:30-545pm- 1930s Labor History: Kathy Olmstead, Professor of History