[DCN-News] DCN News: Road trip, new sites, tech notes and new DCN officers

Davis Community Network News dcn-news at mailman.dcn.org
Tue Feb 12 11:02:08 PST 2013

 Email not displaying correctly? Click here to view it in your
browser<http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/newsl/20130210>
.
subscribe <http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/about/dcn-news> |
 | forward to a friend <http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/newsl/20130210/sendto_form>
DCN News
February 10, 2013, Issue No. 1/2013
[image: Davis Community Network] <http://dcn.org/>

In this issue:

   1. Local road trip
   2. New officers for 2013
   3. Website demystification
   4. If Ansel Adams had used a smartphone...
   5. Technical notes
   6. New SimpleSite customers!
   7. Spring classes are coming soon

1. Local road trip
DCN turns 20 in 2013! We are set up as a volunteer-run community asset (we
help dozens of area nonprofits, usually at no cost to them) … so to update
the community on what's new at DCN, how people can use our services, and to
share some of our ideas on how technology can build bridges in Davis, we're
putting together a very local road tour -- as in El Macero to Stonegate,
and points in between.

We're sending 2013-14 board president Bill Buchanan out to talk with
service clubs, booster organizations, and similar civic-minded
organizations in Davis. He promises to keep the talks short, useful, and
(he hopes) entertaining. If you would like him to speak to your group about
what DCN has done, currently does, and offers, please email a note to
president at dcn.org. Read more about our roots athttp://www2.dcn.org/dcn/about
.

2. New officers for 2013
DCN's board elects new officers at the start of each year, and this is our
lineup for 2013-14: Bill Buchanan (president), Teri Greenfield
(vice-president), Jim Frame (treasurer) and Steve McMahon (secretary).
Their bios are available athttp://www2.dcn.org/dcn/about/board/officers.
We're also happy to report that Russ Hobby, Jan Meizel and Rob Nickerson
were elected to new terms on the board -- and thank Teri for serving as
president the past two years.

3. Website demystification
If you run a website -- especially if you're a volunteer doing the job for
a nonprofit, and/or if websites are a bit of a mystery to you -- this report
from Idealware on low-cost content management
systems<http://www.idealware.org/sites/idealware.org/files/IDEALWARE2012CMSreport_0.pdf>
is
worth reading.

DCN is a big fan of content management systems (also known as web cms),
which can help an organization manage its website much more easily and
consistently than if the site is built from scratch. Our sites employ the
web cms approach, and we can often help local nonprofits find sustainable
ways to create and maintain their websites. We offer our help free of
charge. Read more athttp://www2.dcn.org/dcn/about/committees/rac and
http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/help.

4. If Ansel Adams had used a smartphone -- Phone Art in Davis
Phone Art Month ended Jan. 31, but the site has collected dozens of
wonderful "images of place" in Yolo County. Enjoy the images -- and maybe
give a thought to how far smartphones have come as cameras -- at
https://www.facebook.com/PhoneArtInDavis. (You can read more about
"iPhoneography" in this San Francisco Chronicle
article<http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/IPhoneography-breaking-into-mainstream-4245603.php>
.

Thanks to the Davis Art Center for putting the Davis event together.

5. Technical notes
And now, some technical notes:

   - Davis Community Network has been using Sun hardware and Solaris UNIX
   since DCN got started in 1993. That hardware platform has now been
   officially completely retired for customer services. Oracle now owns the
   Sun product line, so we have moved to HP server hardware with FreeBSD UNIX
   as the operating system of choice. DCN still uses one Sun system as its
   mailing list server, but it runs FreeBSD UNIX.
   - Can Google say this? For the last three years, DCN email has been
   secured via SSL and fully available with no hiccups, analysis, or
   advertising. It supports complete copies of email on all consumer devices
   (phones, tablets, computers) using IMAP, and has no space restrictions. It
   is completely private, and filters spam and applies antivirus with
   Barracuda Networks. We're just sayin'.

6. New SimpleSite customers!
Recent DCN SimpleSite adopters. Check them out:

   - The University Farm Circle <http://www.ufcdavis.org/>
   - Central Park Gardens <http://www.centralparkgardens.org/>
   - Davis Girl Scouts <http://groups.dcn.org/davisgirlscouts>
   - Davis Rugby Football Club <http://www.davisrugbyclub.com/>

To learn more about applying for a SimpleSite, click
here<http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/about/committees/rac/apply_html>
.

7. Spring classes are coming soon
We don't have our spring classes set up yet, but when we do you'll find
information athttp://www2.dcn.org/dcn/classes. See a list of previous
topics athttp://www2.dcn.org/dcn/classes/descriptions -- you can find
tutorials at some of them. If you'd like to suggest a particular topic, or
would like to offer to teach a class yourself, please contact admin at dcn.org.

Davis Community Network <http://dcn.org/> is a nonprofit organization that
provides Internet-related services and support to local nonprofit
organizations, public agencies, schools and individuals. We're putting the
power of the Internet in the hands of people and organizations to connect,
engage, and build a stronger community - since 1993.

Follow us on Facebook <http://facebook.com/dcn.org>.

For DCN account and technical support, contact our partner OmSoft
Technologies: help at dcn.org or (530)758-0119 (Just say "DCN")

Other questions: admin at dcn.org or (530)750-1170

Change address: http://mailman.dcn.org/options/dcn-news