[DCN-News] DCN at Celebrate Davis; new "I've been hacked" class

Davis Community Network News dcn-news at mailman.dcn.org
Sun May 5 08:41:03 PDT 2013

 Email not displaying correctly? Click here to view it in your
browser<http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/newsl/20130503>
.
subscribe <http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/about/dcn-news> |
 | forward to a friend <http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/newsl/20130503/sendto_form>
DCN News
May 3, 2013, Issue No. 3/2013
[image: Davis Community Network] <http://dcn.org/>

In this issue:

   1. DCN at Celebrate Davis 2013
   2. Ask a Davis tech expert
   3. Is this the promotional calendar you’re looking for?
   4. Video-talking with China, without wires or a toll charge
   5. The “I’ve been hacked!” class is taking shape, plus a last call for
   the Web Calendar course

1. DCN at Celebrate Davis 2013
We’re not giving away a lot of physical stuff this year at Celebrate
Davis<http://www.davischamber.com/cd/> on
May 16 … but we are offering instructions, knowledge and advice on how to
use technology to support community in Davis. Come by our booth to ask us
about any of our free tools or services <http://www2.dcn.org/>, or to join
these specific events – see next three items:

2. Ask a Davis tech expert
Ask one of Davis’ technological experts: From 6 to 7 p.m., talk about
computers, networks or related subjects in Davis with Rob Nickerson, DCN
board member and owner of Davis Internet company Omsoft<http://www.omsoft.com/>
.

3. Is this the promotional calendar you’re looking for?
This might be the promotional calendar your nonprofit is looking for: From
7 to 8 p.m., learn more about DCN’s updated Web Calendar, which local
organizations can install on their websites to help promote their events
and activities. The Web Calendar can also link to a master Community
Calendar <http://events.dcn.org/> hosted on DCN's site. During this hour,
Steve McMahon, the DCN board member who created this service, will be on
hand to discuss the calendar and answer questions.

4. Video-talking with China, without wires or a toll charge
Your parents would have said this could not be done: At least once between
7 and 8 p.m. (exact times to be determined – visit our booth to check),
watch a demonstration of an intercontinental video call from us to Tsui
Chang, a DCN board member temporarily living in China. A free video
wireless call from across the Pacific, to an open field in Davis, would
have been stupendously impressive 30 years ago. Now it shows how technology
can help sustain communities, even when distance pulls us away. Come see
how it’s done. If you know Tsui, say hi.

5. The “I’ve been hacked!” class is taking shape, plus a last call for the
Web Calendar course
We have two springtime classes left this year – one on the Web Calendar May
9, and one called “You’ve Been Hacked or Infected: What to Do Next.” We’re
still putting that panel together, but we have a date --June 18-- and will
have more details soon. Read more about either class at
http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/classes/classSchedules/.

Davis Community Network <http://dcn.org/> is a nonprofit organization that
provides Internet-related services and support to local nonprofit
organizations, public agencies, schools and individuals. We're putting the
power of the Internet in the hands of people and organizations to connect,
engage, and build a stronger community - since 1993.

Follow us on Facebook <http://facebook.com/dcn.org>.

For DCN account and technical support, contact our partner OmSoft
Technologies: help at dcn.org or (530)758-0119 (Just say "DCN")

Other questions: admin at dcn.org or (530)750-1170

Change address: http://mailman.dcn.org/options/dcn-news