[DCN-News] DCN News for October: Cutting Cable, Kickstarter, tools classes

Davis Community Network News dcn-news at mailman.dcn.org
Thu Oct 24 08:20:53 PDT 2013

 Email not displaying correctly? Click here to view it in your
browser<http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/newsl/20131022>
.
subscribe <http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/about/dcn-news> |
 | forward to a friend <http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/newsl/20131022/sendto_form>
DCN News
October 22, 2013, Issue No. 6/2013
[image: Davis Community Network] <http://dcn.org/>

In this issue:

   1. Encore! Cut the cable, updated, on Oct. 29
   2. Understanding Kickstarter, email lists, and DCN tools
   3. Come aboard
   4. Send this to a colleague

1. Encore! Cut the cable, updated, on Oct. 29
Learn how to drop expensive cable or dish service and get your video from
the web. Instructor Steve McMahon has updated the information to include
Google’sChromecast<http://www.toptechnews.com/story.xhtml?story_id=10300A9SPSOP>.
The class meets Tuesday, Oct. 29 from 6:30 to 8 p.m. in the Davis City Hall
council chambers. To register, visit dcn.org and click on “upcoming
classes<http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/classes/>
.”

2. Understanding Kickstarter, email lists, and DCN tools
We have a class on
Kickstarter<http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Kickstarter-s-most-successful-category-dance-4908255.php>
in
the works for Nov. 21, taught by Jeff Tolentino (of Davis Makerspace, among
other affiliations). For specifics on this class, plus sessions that will
be scheduled soon on using the free DCN tools and lists, check back on
dcn.org and click on “upcoming classes <http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/classes/>."

3. Come aboard
We’re getting ready to identify and elect DCN board members for 2014.
Current members are doing outreach along these lines, and we don’t want to
miss anyone who might like to talk about joining us. To suggest someone, or
yourself, contact any current member of the
board<http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/about/board>,
or if you prefer, email DCN President Bill Buchanan at wmrbuchanan (at)
gmail.com. Board members don’t need to be techies; they just need to have
some interest in using Internet technology to benefit local nonprofits and
community groups. During 2014, we expect to make substantial decisions
about DCN’s direction. Come help us set the right course for supporting
Davis.

4. Send this to a colleague
Anyone receiving this newsletter probably knows about our free Internet
tools and resources <http://www2.dcn.org/dcn/about/committees/rac> for
local community groups and nonprofits. But if you’re working alongside
people this fall who have nonprofit web obligations and don’t know how DCN
could help them, please forward this newsletter. The tools and resources
are free.

Davis Community Network <http://dcn.org/> is a nonprofit organization that
provides Internet-related services and support to local nonprofit
organizations, public agencies, schools and individuals. We're putting the
power of the Internet in the hands of people and organizations to connect,
engage, and build a stronger community - since 1993.

Follow us on Facebook <http://facebook.com/dcn.org>.

For DCN account and technical support, contact our partner OmSoft
Technologies: help at dcn.org or (530)758-0119 (Just say "DCN")

Other questions: admin at dcn.org or (530)750-1170

Change address: http://mailman.dcn.org/options/dcn-news